• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

MSD ignition 12 volts help

73 kooda

Reaction score
Guys ...help a newb... I hooked up all the wires just like in the diagrm. My question is it is calling for a switched 12 volt source. When i hook it up to the ACC oulet in my fuse block, all i get is cranking. But when i hook it up to the Batt. Terminal outlet it fires right up. What gives. Do i need to hook it straight to the ignition at the key??! ...,Im running a 340. Msd 6 box, blaster 2 coil and 8388 ready to run dizzy. .... Any help would be greatly appreciated!! ... Thanks in advance...

73 kooda

Reaction score
Ok.. Found a diagram and went on A-body forum. Someone said the brown wire provides the 12 volts needed to turn it over.....It does, as long as i hold the key forward, so thats not gonna work. the red is a constant 12v so that won't work... I guess I'm gonna hook to the red and put an interrupt (kill) switch. i guess I'll kill two birds with one stone. I'm bAffled as to why it wont turn over on anything other than a constant 12 volt...my guess is thats the only true 12 volt needed. i cant put it on the coil, cause it's full MSD so theres no voltage at the coil....anyone got any better ideas

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you need to connect the smaller red wire to both the blue & brown wire at the ballast to get ign cranking & running

73 kooda

Reaction score
Dont have a ballast anymore as i switched to HEI MSD .... Read everywhere you didnt need it, as it only was there to protect "points" on older ignitions... Ill try leo's suggestion first chance i get

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I understand that but both the blue switched ign wire & the brown wire go to the ballast so that is the easiest point to get both together

73 kooda

Reaction score
So since i dont have a ballast do i hook blue switched and brown to my 12v im looking for?.... Thanks in advance... Certainly do appreciate everyones time..

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
yes , tie the blue & brown wires together & connect them to the red trigger wire for the MSD , the MSD should come with a pigtail already made that plugs in to do this

73 kooda

Reaction score
Finally has time to hook the wires up blue and brown to my MSD...you ROCK!!!....but now alternator isn't charging ...so I either disconnected the 12 volts going in somewhere, or it's bad...does the alternator need 12v switch, or constant on the in side ?...thanks again to everyone that helped...at least it fired up and I got to hear it...been workin on my kids 66 mustang for last few months so I aint had time....yeah I know ....you can lead a horse to water...at least my 10 yr old wants his first car to be a 68 Cuda so one out of two ain't bad!!!!!see you guys at MATS

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
yes the blue wire to the ballast should also connect to the voltage reg & the alt terminal , the green wore from the alt connects back to the voltage reg & the reg has to be grounded

73 kooda

Reaction score
Alternator was bad...weird cause it wasn't prior to me tkng everything out... But put in new one, and all is well..yeah blue wire from alternator goes to regulator.. She's runnn great now!!!... Thanks for all the help.... She fires right up now.. Onto he next project on her now!!!

bbrroowwnn

Reaction score
I also am running this distributor 8388.....I just wanted to point out that you can run the 6a box with this distributor like you are doing, but it is not necessary with the ready to run distributors......You don't NEED any control box with this distributor.....all you need is a coil like the blaster 2.....thats it! No ballast resistor either!

73 kooda

Reaction score
I also am running this distributor 8388.....I just wanted to point out that you can run the 6a box with this distributor like you are doing, but it is not necessary with the ready to run distributors......You don't NEED any control box with this distributor.....all you need is a coil like the blaster 2.....thats it! No ballast resistor either!

I talked to the guys at MSD ... Your right I don't need the 6A box, but it produces more spark to the plugs if you do use it .. I'm gonna hide it out of the engine compartment when I get a chance...unless somebody can tell me something different ...

Back