• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

my 74 resto project

hdwrench

Reaction score
we’ll we are progressing. final fit on pass side full quarter was to easy , it’s tacked and could be welded in . new door skins installed both sides so alignment is confirmed. the left took a little more work but is looking very good . another piece to the puzzle came off back order at amd, my roof skin is en route . that is great news .

hdwrench

Reaction score
next hurdle will be fit taillight panel and and rr valence . that should lock up the whole tail section to the quarters ….man i can’t wait !

hdwrench

Reaction score
forward sections of both full quarters now welded in , looks very nice , we left the very back for final fit with the tail section , roof skin should be here literally within an hour ….

524B6D3B-C3B9-4698-971E-62271F605A97.jpeg

3228C00F-BFE3-493D-87F3-418B74C1BB4E.jpeg

3321ED76-FEC1-4BF2-8F13-6613BA977899.jpeg

hdwrench

Reaction score
roofskin question, what happens between the roof frame and skin ? is there a foam tape or adhesive or assemblies dry ? any thoughts appreciated….

hdwrench

Reaction score
deck lid question? i bought a 1974 chrysler parts catalog but not finding the exploded view of the deck lid for e-body . i have one torsion spring for the deck lid , is there supposed to be two ? it appears torqued for one side to the other … pics would be helpful, tia….

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@hdwrench, My 73 has only one spring that goes from the passengers side to the drivers side with the torsion adjustment on the drivers side. When mine was reinstalled after paint, it was placed in the wrong tension location and my deck lid doesn't stay up. It should be one spot forward. I have yet to adjust it because I need to figure how to do it without killing myself and without scratching the paint. I'll send some pictures when I can.

hdwrench

Reaction score
cool thanks , my deck lid don’t come down flat and trying to figure why . it hits on the left (driver) side before the right . we reduced tension to the last hole but same result. thought if it was supposed to have two springs and that would mean im missing one it might be the reason . but now i have to figure why it’s twisted . by the way it’s an amd replacement deck lid on original hinges n hardware…

Buckminster

Reaction score
That should only be done with the full weight of the assembled car sitting on the suspension in order to set the pinion angle. Pinion angle is very important in terms of how the car rides, launches, etc. My Valiant was assembled with the U-bolts holding the perches in place unwelded while I installed the engine, trans, etc. and awaited my driveshaft. I had to be able to move the car in the meantime. The perches got welded after the driveshaft was installed and pinion angle was measured. It was one of the last things I did under the car, if not the last.
Yep. Measured it multiple times to get it right. It's in the car now and it drives beautifully.

JKCuda

Reaction score
cool thanks , my deck lid don’t come down flat and trying to figure why . it hits on the left (driver) side before the right . we reduced tension to the last hole but same result. thought if it was supposed to have two springs and that would mean im missing one it might be the reason . but now i have to figure why it’s twisted . by the way it’s an amd replacement deck lid on original hinges n hardware…
Some have single bars. My cuda had the same issue when we replaced my decklid. I ended up deciding to ditch the bars and I'm going to install some kind of strut instead. We could never get the decklid to sit level.

Quiny

Reaction score
Some have single bars. My cuda had the same issue when we replaced my decklid. I ended up deciding to ditch the bars and I'm going to install some kind of strut instead. We could never get the decklid to sit level.
Same here, my 73 had a single bar and it always kicked the back corner of the deck up. I installed a couple of struts from Amazon and its nice and smooth now. Side benefit is that it now opens slowly on it's own. It only required drilling 4 holes. One in each hinge bracket and one on each side of the package tray(other holes already there). While the car is apart it is a breeze to do, an assembled car would be tough. Under $50 for parts. I hope it lasts.

Amazon product ASIN B08P3NQGQ3Amazon product ASIN B0C39ZQH46

hdwrench

Reaction score
Same here, my 73 had a single bar and it always kicked the back corner of the deck up. I installed a couple of struts from Amazon and its nice and smooth now. Side benefit is that it now opens slowly on it's own. It only required drilling 4 holes. One in each hinge bracket and one on each side of the package tray(other holes already there). While the car is apart it is a breeze to do, an assembled car would be tough. Under $50 for parts. I hope it lasts.

Amazon product ASIN B08P3NQGQ3Amazon product ASIN B0C39ZQH46
interesting!

hdwrench

Reaction score
roof skin removed and now fiting the new one (amd) which arrived in great shape . the new drip rails (amd) don’t have the same contour as roof and have to be shaped to follow roof . anybody run into this ? there also a tad long towards windshield , if any body has pics on the drip rail install please add , be a help ….

1675D4BE-D926-4558-BE3B-6EF29A2B2A04.jpeg

E4425512-5072-4612-852E-D92BD30CF2A2.jpeg

hdwrench

Reaction score
be awhile time for some updates- taillight panel , trunk gutters fitted and welded in , right side inner fender removed and replaced, outer hanging for visual inspection. looks great so far ….for skin fit and partially welded….

0D248B13-33BD-4DF7-A149-8797AFC20413.jpeg

814A2C96-32D7-4221-A2F3-E7C5A3AE439F.jpeg

6AAEB510-80B1-475B-B66E-A7572621AC75.jpeg

hdwrench

Reaction score
can’t tell by looking at it but we’re progressing nicely. most is the panels welding now completed! finally. a little touch up welds on front inner fenders . then we ready to fit / hang front fenders , valence, headlight buckets. i’ll probably look at the front bumper fit as i want to locate them as a 70 would look . i think i can mod the brackets in the front . i’ll probably replace the rears with early brackets as not sure the mod as easy in rear . all the white you see on car is oem , black stuff replaced panels …lol!!!

A9C08D07-4930-451D-B5D3-F2F854B13152.jpeg

Back