• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help Finding proper replacement axels

tman354p

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have bent axel flanges and I need help figuring out what axels shafts I need. The car is a 1971 Plymouth Cuda 440 with a dana 60. Im to believe is should have a 35 spline axel but upon inspection the axel is a 30 spline. is this correct? or am I looking a different rear end?

Thanks!

Reaction score
From the 70-71 parts book 3432209 R 3432210 L listed at 30 7/16" no length on the right axle. parts book does not say spline count.
Are your axles different lengths?
The earlier B Bodies used a 23 spline axle, the parts book says later used a 35 spline.
I have a Hollander auto wreckers old interchange book, it lists axles as fitting both 70 left and right and 71 left and right and are listed as 35 spline
From old memory they are supposed to be 35 spline and 1 1/2" diameter at the splines ( I think I'm correct)
Lots of trucks used dana axles that were 30 and 32 spline, could be someone swapped out the diff carrier and had axles made.

tman354p

Reaction score
From the 70-71 parts book 3432209 R 3432210 L listed at 30 7/16" no length on the right axle. parts book does not say spline count.
Are your axles different lengths?
The earlier B Bodies used a 23 spline axle, the parts book says later used a 35 spline.
I have a Hollander auto wreckers old interchange book, it lists axles as fitting both 70 left and right and 71 left and right and are listed as 35 spline
From old memory they are supposed to be 35 spline and 1 1/2" diameter at the splines ( I think I'm correct)
Lots of trucks used dana axles that were 30 and 32 spline, could be someone swapped out the diff carrier and had axles made.
Both are identical 28 13/16' shaft, is about 1 1/4 diameter at splines
the shafts are moser so good chance they are custom but they don't seem to fall in line with and dana 60 variations I can find.

Reaction score
The factory axles are defiantly different lengths, as the factory dana 60 centre section is offset a bit to the right I believe from memory.
I could measure mine in my 70 but I can"t do it tomorrow.
It sounds like you have a made up rear end, so it will be cheaper to just get new moser axles made.
Your only other option into find an original dana 60 from an E body $2500.00 - $3500.00 if you can find one.
Let me know if you need a measurement from my 70.

tman354p

Reaction score
The factory axles are defiantly different lengths, as the factory dana 60 centre section is offset a bit to the right I believe from memory.
It sounds like you have a made up rear end, so it will be cheaper to just get new moser axles made.
Your only other option into find an original dana 60 from an E body $2500.00 - $3500.00 if you can find one.
I tore apart the rear end today and it would appear that I do indeed have different internals in my rear end but fortunately being moser axels they can make new ones, only downside is I have to wait for them to make them so I can’t drive the car :( thank you for the responses though new to this car ao I’m going blind at the moment!

Reaction score
Well you have to work with what you have, if it's been changed from original all you can do is go forward with ordering new moser axles.
There are lots of knowledgable people on this site so don't be afraid to ask questions if there's something you don't understand.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You have a lot of choices for axles , Mark William , Strange , Moser & others .
If the sure grip is not good or you have a 2 spider gear Track [crack] lock you can up grade to a 4 spider power lock & choose the spline .
I would contact Dr Diff in MT & at least talk to him , he is very knowledgable on Mopar diffs .
We used to build a lot of Danas for customer builds , as I recall the 8 3/4 & Dana use the same axle brg so the spline would be the same for both which seems wrong as in the 8 3/4 the spline seems to be the weak part , my axles retained a 45* twist after just one launch , but I never hurt the Mark Williams axles I replaced them with even tho there were still 30 spline .

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Pictures are nice. If they are marked as MOSER units my next call would be to them. They don't usually bend so you may also have a bigger problem like a bent housing. Contact the people who made it for the best possible answer for their product.

Billshemi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have bent axel flanges and I need help figuring out what axels shafts I need. The car is a 1971 Plymouth Cuda 440 with a dana 60. Im to believe is should have a 35 spline axel but upon inspection the axel is a 30 spline. is this correct? or am I looking a different rear end?

Thanks!
If it has 30 spline does it have a pinon snubber if not it is a truck dana

Back