• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help identifying these components

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
15236613421531374153508.jpg
1523661409741464173325.jpg
1523661458647-1689147827.jpg

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
A little background here. My charging system is not currently charging the battery. I had the alternator tested and it was good, and then replaced the voltage regulator, but still nothing.

In the course of doing this, I came to the conclusion that some of the wiring on my Challenger is a complete clusterbleep. Wires unhooked, some partially melted, etc.

Now, back in the early 90's I was very handy working on my classic Mopars, but after over two decades of being out of the game, I've forgotten a LOT of what I used to know so well. I'm determined to once again be very knowledgeable and capable of these cars. I have re-learned a lot in the last few days since I've started to dig into this problem. I'm basically taking every component under the hood that I can't remember and identifying it, and then figuring out what exactly it does. As I'm tracing wires, I've come across these components and I'm not quite sure what they are.

I think you guys will easily identify and describe the top 2 pics, just in case the 3rd pic is something that is mounted and wired into the Holley carb and the alternator.

The biggest problem I'm having is that the former owner(s) have put a lot of aftermarket performance stuff on this like an MSD Ignition Box, an MSD Blaster 2 coil, an aluminum high-rise intake, the Holley double pumper carb, etc...and has eliminated or bypassed some stock components, but left all the old wiring, etc.

I'm just trying to unravel all of thisl.

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
Top right photo is your starter relay. I'm not familiar with the other parts but I'm sure someone else here is!

Grady, the pics appear stacked to me. I would assume the "top right photo" you are referring to is the relay that has all the wires hooked into it (including the thick red wire) sitting just to the left of the battery?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
If you haven't already, get yourself a good wiring schematic. Several available online for free and of course, in the service manual...

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
BTW, if it helps, the component in the top pic was mounted directly above the starter relay that Grady identified earlier. If you look closely at the pic of the starter relay, you see an orange plug and a brown clip...both of those were plugged into the unidentified component.

brotow

Reaction score
What I see as the first picture is the seat belt by pass relay. It looks similar to a horn relay but has a red button protruding out of the top.

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
What I see as the first picture is the seat belt by pass relay. It looks similar to a horn relay but has a red button protruding out of the top.

brotow, yep, I think you nailed it!! Thank You sir!!

That takes care of the top two components.

I'm almost positive the bottom pic is some kind of control module for the automatic choke on the carb. Like I said, there is a wire that comes off the alternator and connects into it, and then a wire comes off of it and connects directly into the side of the carb where IIRC the auto choke is. There is however, another black wire that comes off it that is disconnected.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Your alt runs to the fuse block then is routed to the battery I believe. Here are the 73 diagrams.

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

quapman

Reaction score
If his car has the seat belt interlock, it's a 74. Anybody have a schematic for that?

The component that was near the carb looks like some sort of voltage regulator. Does your car have the factory one on the firewall? (3 X 5 box, near the ECU).

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
If his car has the seat belt interlock, it's a 74. Anybody have a schematic for that?

The component that was near the carb looks like some sort of voltage regulator. Does your car have the factory one on the firewall? (3 X 5 box, near the ECU).

Yes, there is a stock voltage regulator mounted in the normal spot on the firewall. That little black box is bolted directly into the intake manifold right beside the carb. It has one wire connecting it to a field wire coming from the alternator, and another wire connects it to what I think is the choke control on the carb.

Last edited:

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
That's the cold engine idle box.

Cudafor36, just a quick update on the wiring to this component:

There are actually FOUR wires that come from this box:

One red wire connected to a wire that splits off one of the field wires from the alternator.

A black wire connects to the carburetor, specifically to the positive choke lead.

A white wire that connects to a red wire that comes from the MSD 6 AL Ignition Box.

And a 2nd black wire with a male end that seems to not be connected to anything.

Doing a Google search for that term turns up absolutely nothing. These aren't like "muffler bearings" are they? lol

Steve340

Reaction score
It may be an aftermarket relay someone has wired in to power the electric choke?
Just a guess from your description.

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
It may be an aftermarket relay someone has wired in to power the electric choke?
Just a guess from your description.

Steve, after doing some research in some other location, I believe that's pretty much exaclty what it is. Some type of relay to control the electric choke.

Thanks to all again!!

Back