• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

NEED INFO:: Vintage Air and Gauges

chickwitha_Cuda

Reaction score
So living in the south, it's damn near impossible to drive without AC from May until October. My stock AC bit the dust last summer and I've decided to upgrade to a Vintage Air system this year. Here's the catch--

The car is stock AC with standard gauges. I'm planning to swap out those gauges for rallye gauges, but not this year. ((Time and financial constraints)) So my question is, do i get the VA system for the rallye dash and will it work with the standard gauges for a year or so til I redo the dash, or do I HAVE to get the standard gauge version in order for it to work correctly at all? Is it just a small replaceable part to swap between the two?

I've called VA about this, but they haven't gotten back to me...

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
What bewilders me. How you also make it from September to April whit out A/C? A hot chick with a cuda sweating all the time and you didn't get an answer. I think every one just wanted to see you sweet. The trim panel as you might know is different from the standard to rally cluster. I just want to respond to bring it to the top. others can give there opinion based on there different experiences.

cgallengr  ac contols r.jpg

challenger ac  contols sd.jpg

gs73rallye

Reaction score
The difference is the housing the switches go in. With the standard gauges it has that corner clipped off. I believe the actual switches themselves are the same though. Not 100% sure, but you could probably order for the rally dash, that way you would have the proper housing for once you do switch, but put those guts into your original housing for the time being.

ItsJustMe

Reaction score
I have a VA non ralley AC switch setup and bezel you can have. I also have a small block compressor and bracket you can get from me cheap. All brand new and in the box. I’ll get some pictures if you want more info on them.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Yes, the Vintage Air Control Panel for the Rallye gauges will not work with the Standard instrument cluster as noted by others.
That upper right corner will hit your Standard speedometer for sure.
Here are both Vintage Air control panels.
1676743128874.png
1676743100554.png

You can install the A/C kit for Standard Gauges but it will cost you another $219.00 later to swap out the Standard Gauges control panel to the Rallye Gauges control panel.
I hope @ItsJustMe can set you up with that VA standard control panel. That would solve your dilemma.

1970-74 Barracuda/Cuda/Challenger with Factory Air Gen IV SureFit™ Complete Kit Standard Gauges
Part #: 974074-EDU
Price: $1,895.00
https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=974074-EDU

1970-74 Barracuda/Cuda/Challenger with Factory Air Gen IV SureFit™ Control Panel Kit Rallye Gauges
Part #: 471076-EDA
Starting at $219.00
https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=471076-EDA

That being said, I would consider getting the Dakota Digital Rallye Gauges which are the best gauge package going.

BTW - I am running the Classic Auto Air A/C system on a factory air Cuda but I recommend going with Vintage Air if you want a more modern control system (servomotor air doors) and control panel.

Back