• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vintage Air and 440 6 pak

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
I apologize if this is not in the correct location. I am putting a Vintage Air AC on my 70 challenger with a 440 6 pack. My question is, will I need to modify the non-fresh air cleaner base to clear the standard Vintage compressor? I understand Bouchillon Performance has a Shorty compressor which should clear everything but I would just as soon use a complete Vintage Air kit if it will work with little or no modification to the air cleaner.

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
So if I use the Vintage Air kit there will be some interference problems, unless I modify the bracket?

mopar jack

Reaction score
This is my 71 road runner with a 440 4bbl not a sixpack but same style base plate and it clears the compressor. All brackets were sourced through Bouchillon

20230920_162857.jpg

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
Thanks. I think thats the same compressor VA has. I guess I need to study the different brackets from VA and BP. Same compressor and they use the same pulleys?… maybe standard VA kit will work.

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
Has anyone actually compared the a/c compressor brackets; Bouchillon 4700 and Vintage Air 161002. Looking to see if one sits slightly lower. (Orange-BPE, Blue-VA)

IMG_3927.png

IMG_3926.png

Avalanche

Reaction score
I have seen the sandon compressor mounted where the mechanical fuel pump goes. Under the alternator. Assuming you are not using it anymore.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Ooops! Above orange pic is the BPR 4710. Below is the 4700 for late cast iron water pump housing.

View attachment 118158
That picture shows two belts on the compressor/alternator, which is preferable. I use the VA brackets on my 440 and it was a real pain to install. First, the brackets were expensive. When they arrived, they gave me a box of spacers. Had to play with adding spacers to make the belts line up. Don't know if the Bou. brackets would be any better. I do like the two belt setup of the Bou though.

mopar jack

Reaction score
I used the BPE 4710 bracket that works with the 440 source water pump housing. The compressor cannot sit any lower on my application. I was looking at the shorty compressor and heard it doesn't perform as well as the standard one. The 2 belt alternator works well but I had a serious problem with the water pump pulley. The water pump pulley uses 1 belt to drive the water pump and the power steering pump. My pulley failed, it split in half while on the freeway loosing the steering and water pump at the same time is bad.

20240120_070015.jpg

20240120_070138.jpg

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thank you. I noticed you have an idler for your water pump belt. I haven’t seen one of those in pictures with the modern AC set-ups before. Was that your design?

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
No, that’s the original factory BB A/C configuration, the idler bracket is original, idler pulley is reproduction/replacement. Water pump pulley and 4-grove crank pulley is original. BTW, the six-pack air cleaner does in fact clear the standard sized Saden compressor using the pictured BPE brackets.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
Now I know what I need to resource. Which water pump housing are you using. I really like your set-up.
It’s been a couple of years now; pretty sure I sourced that water pump housing from 440source.com but it doesn’t have the logo on it like the current offering has it would appear. Mopar Performance, now Mancini Racing has a similar, aluminum housing well. Any of the driver’s side inlet housings will work including the factory cast iron piece used through ’72.
20180310_121259.jpg

Last edited:

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
My Charger is a factory 440 with A/C car that I added the six pack back when I was like 18-19 years old. It has been on there since. 34 years ago. It is with all factory parts. However, I did have to modify the air cleaner base.

100_1698.jpg

Back