• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Needing Cam recommendations

74chlngernewbie

Reaction score
Looking for advice. Starting rebuild on 440 with 4:speed. 74 Challenger. Needing recommendations on cam/lifters. Mainly Street use.

53436.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well with nothing to go on it is difficult ,
4 types of cams hyd or solid in flat tappet or roller .
Stay away from Comp they are a poor choice or Mopars .
I prefer the Lunati VooDoo series, they produce great results .
I have no clue if you are running a manual with or without Overdrive , 4 speed is much more forgiving , what gear ratio in the diff , tire size , mostly used for highway or city , what intake you pan to use , I like the 300-14 Holley Street Dom intake , it seriously kicks ass . Headers or manifolds make a big difference in the cam grind used , ported heads or aftermarket ? they usually will flow better with more lift . Will you race it , autocross or drag or ...

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Key phase.Mainly Street use.Key point, Keep the duration under 300. pick your cam and build around it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Wow vague , under 300 advertised or @ .050 , what about overlap , it is critical with manifolds ?

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
Good luck. Been waiting 6 months for a cam I ordered from Hughes. They are not alone. Word is most of the cores for camshafts come out of Michigan and are in extreme short supply.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
I used a hydraulic Isky 270 mega in a 440 years back and it was an absolute stump puller with 3.23 gears. As I recalled, we were able to use the factory stamped rocker set since this cam doesn’t have a ton of lift on a smaller base circle Like a bigger cam would.

Granted it’s not as sexy as some of the other stuff out there and you probably won’t win races but it idles good without shaking parts loose like an old Harley, pulls enough vac for power brakes and has enough low end torque to destroy a set of tires if you just want to cruise around and light em up once in a while.

And it will keep your build costs down since you will be able to reuse many of the stock HP stuff like heads, intake, Exh manifolds, rocker assembly, converter, etc.

You need to be really honest with yourself about how you plan to use the car. Lots of guys want a bad ass idle but then complain about the lack of smoothness and drivability and after it’s in and they’ve spent $8k on the motor, they discover that all they really wanted in the first place was something to cruise around in and take the family out to the car shows.

Back