• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Gremlin in wiring

Flchallenger

Reaction score
It's been running fine and had leave in a garage for 4 months then took it out for a drive and when I turn on the headlights the motor and all electrical shuts off. Turn off lights and it comes back on? This car has a big alternator with dual radiator fans, ac, stereo with sub. So there is a lot going on. I am thinking this could be a ground wire that has rusted and lost a good ground. Enough to run the car but when I turn on accessories it's to much. Any other ideas. I checked the ground at the battery, nice and tight.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would say the grounds are a good place to start.(There are less of them.)Check and clean bottom dash bolt that's a ground check engine ground. The one on the steering column is for the horn. grounds for headlight on fender.The chassis ground 12ga I would bend and flex it feel if there are any hard spots. battery cables do the same. cables corrode about an inch or so in and cause problems. You may also have headlight wiring issue. could be a power feed issue.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Could be a ground problem & worth checking for sure .
Seem like it could be a load problem where the draw from the headlights is limiting power to the rest of the circuits so you could look at the fusable link connection & bulkhead connections & fuse block could be anissue as well as the ammeter if it is still connected in the circuit .

Slug

Reaction score
It it's happening when you turn your headlights on, check your headlights switch wire going to lights for a short to ground and check your high beam switch. Push the high beams on, then turn on your lights to see if car dies.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Well I am currently living a rv. sold my house put the car in friends garage. Long story short 3 months later mold was growing on the seats stearing wheel. So I got it out cleaned it up. And this happened. I took it to a Air Force base near by to the hobby shop where I could get it on a lift. This car has a custom wiring with alot of hidden wires. Battery in the trunk grounds on frame by trans/engine. Hydraulic clutch went out. So I had to have it towed to a shop that just replace the clutch and slave cylinder. Not sure what happened. But I haven't a chance to start going thru. I think I am going to ask the shop to check them while it is there. But I will still have to go behind them just to make sure. When I drove it no problems but I didn't try the lights or anything. Scared to. Base is about 30 miles away. Fun day on the side of the road in a cool car. It ran great and was fun while it lasted. I will keep you posted.

Back