• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New member from Canada

Deezel

Reaction score
Thought I should introduce myself.

I'm from Alberta, Canada and I've got a 1973 Cuda that is being restored right now. Well, it will be more of a restomod restoration.
I picked up the car a little over a year ago. It does look pretty good in the picture but trust me, it had its share of underlying issues.

Here's a pic of the car shortly after I bought it;
q0OH5Sv.jpg

And here it is now, in the body shop, blasted and getting ready for repairs;
zngIi2i.jpg

Thanks for having me. I've been lurking for awhile and know there is a ton of great information and knowledge here.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Welcome. You're correct, the car looked nice before the tear down. What does she have in store for the resto?

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
She does look pretty good from what I can see in the pictures, but we all know how pictures can be deceiving... Lol, I like what I can though.
Welcome to the forum and please feel free to share more pictures - I think we all like the pictures. Especially the before and after pics...

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! I vote for the same color scheme. Green and black looks so nice on a Cuda!

Deezel

Reaction score
Welcome. You're correct, the car looked nice before the tear down. What does she have in store for the resto?

Quick list;
Complete new interior with custom upholstery and panels changed to black
Standard gauges replaced with Dakota Digital RTX rallye gauges with cruise and GPS speedo
Vintage Air system
Ididit tilt steering column
Hotchkis TVS suspension with QA1 k-member and lower control arms. Will also put in larger diameter torsion bars.
Dana 60 rear with 3.91(?) gears
Wilwood disc brakes all around
Borgeson steering box
I'm leaning towards a Tremec A41 auto and 408 stroker but I'm not 100% positive yet. I may still have my numbers matching 340 built up and use it. I'm just a little worried about building it then having it grenade on me. They're only numbers matching once...
I've already made up my mind that the car will remain an automatic as I don't want to cut the tunnel out. My 727 is also numbers matching but I definitely want to upgrade to a modern OD transmission. The 727 will get stored for a future owner.
Holley Sniper 2 complete system with Hyperspark

Xcudame

Reaction score
Just a thought, as long as you don't rev it over 8000rpm and keep the max horsepower under 550, that numbers matching 340 is one tough engine! Heehee!

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Looked nice.
Dana 60 is a little overkill but you won't hurt it. I am sure that you are keepind a photo diary as the work progresses. Great to look back on.
As for matching numbers meaning anything, not really so much after changing the rest of the car.
Like the engine, it is only original once and it isn't like it is a 70-71 big block or Hemi car so just go for it.

Deezel

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Looked nice.
Dana 60 is a little overkill but you won't hurt it. I am sure that you are keepind a photo diary as the work progresses. Great to look back on.
As for matching numbers meaning anything, not really so much after changing the rest of the car.
Like the engine, it is only original once and it isn't like it is a 70-71 big block or Hemi car so just go for it.

I am keeping a record of everything. This car will be thoroughly documented with pictures and receipts of absolutely everything that has been done to it. To me, documentation is an important part of any build. It's proof of what's underneath all that shiny paint. This car looked great when I bought it but it was hiding lots of issues.

rO97HVC.jpg

ues2uEL.jpg

8rAWKSe.jpg

ajn4idO.jpg

Gwt1KrL.jpg

It's hard to get past the "numbers matching" thing because it's present in almost every car ad we see for sale. As for myself, I do believe when potential buyers see this, they are willing to pay more for the car. To me, a numbers matching AAR Cuda is worth more than one with a date correct motor.

moparleo

Reaction score
True if it was an AAR but it is a 73 'Cuda.
Not a ltd production performance car but a modified regular 73.
Still, a great car when you are done. Just like any other hobby though you are not likely to get even half of what you spend on its restoration.
Cars like this are not an investment but a hobby. Nothing wrong with that.
Just don't tell the other (if there is one) that you will make money on it.

Xcudame

Reaction score
The rule of thumb is the worth of a car after your done making it good is the original purchase price plus 1/2 the cost of the parts you added. Your labor is worth nothing. Yes, this must be looked as a hobby and not an investment. Obviously in ten years it might be worth a little more, but not many people buy a small block hard top E-Body (less AAR and T/A) as an investment.

Deezel

Reaction score
Definitely not building this car as an investment, at least not an investment for me. I'll have well over what it's sale price would be by the time I'm finished. I intend on driving and enjoying this thing for (hopefully) the next 20 years.

Back