• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New member looking to build a 340

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
Hello my name is Russ I am new to this site back in June I purchased a 1973BS Cuda it is all numbers matching spent all of its life in Charlotte North Carolina it has a 340 6 barrel and I’m looking to build it around 450-500 horse pump gas looking for a very knowledgeable engine builder that can help me with these equations of matching parts if there’s anyone out there that can help me I would definitely appreciate it when I was a teenager I had a road runner and a barracuda And many other cars are used to race the Road Runner a lot I’m used to a 440 and I may switch it out for 440 if I can’t get the torque out of it without hitting the moon on RPMs can somebody please help.

4DBF83F0-2D9B-4439-9369-37B6F99BE02A.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Show us more pictures of your Cuda.
Lots of knowledgeable engine builders here that will chime in to guide you along.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Russ .
Honestly the best route is to buy a 360 / 408 stroker from Blueprint engines . I can help with some of the choices for cams & heads etc , buy the time you are done all you will use from the 340 is the block so stick it in a corner where it si safe & build with a 360 block .
If you have questions ask , Glad to help out !

gzig5

Reaction score
360 small block with a 4.125" crank = 440ci or so and is a lot lighter.
Just saying.....

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
First welcome to the site
Just so you know I'm a Big Block man and will always say go BB but there is nothing wrong with a good SB

Now with that said I like the idea of putting the original engine in the corner and going BB... why ? Even with a mild build a 440 is 100 cubic ins bigger and will get you to the 500 hp
a lot easier than with a SB, and you would need to spin a SB a lot higher than with a BB, plus you cant beat the torque that a BB would produce

This is just my 2 cents. Keep us posted and of course pictures

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas!
500 stroker with a 5 speed is tons fun and torque. Since the 440 is an option :thumbsup:

halftrackman

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I would go back with the 440 with the 512 that a mean engine; All my mopars had BB engines. In the old days, I had several RR 383, but the 440 would blow my doors off.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
340s rule. Raced 327-350-454 chevys. 351s- 428 ho mustangs. Olds442 389 pontiacs and 440 mopars. Never lost a race on the street. The race track is a different story but build a solid 340 and you will not regret it. Bigger stroked engines take longer to get to rpms. 360 was a truck engine design actually. Only like 1 v8 has a smaller stroke than rhe 340, as far as I know and its a 262cu chevy boat engine. I may be corrected on this also but if you wanna build a 340, i'd be glad to exchange what I know.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Russ
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Keep that 340 safe if you go to a big block.
I have owned 383 and 440 Challengers. Always loved the torque:steering:
Prefer the small blocks these days, lighter, can make plenty of power and better handling on the street. JMO

Adam

Reaction score
340s rule. Raced 327-350-454 chevys. 351s- 428 ho mustangs. Olds442 389 pontiacs and 440 mopars. Never lost a race on the street. The race track is a different story but build a solid 340 and you will not regret it. Bigger stroked engines take longer to get to rpms. 360 was a truck engine design actually. Only like 1 v8 has a smaller stroke than rhe 340, as far as I know and its a 262cu chevy boat engine. I may be corrected on this also but if you wanna build a 340, i'd be glad to exchange what I know.
Not to correct anyone, just saying...the famous Z28 302 engine only had a 3.00 stroke! 4.00 bore. Same with the regular Ford 302. Good engines!

and a friend of mine has a boat with a Chevy straight six in it... cast iron pistons, wtf🤪

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I was always told no replacement for displacement. But I raced a few 440s with a 340 demon and had to do it 3x before the guy could actually accept the fact the lil ole 340 was faster in a 1/4 mile. Maybe it was knowing how to tune a motor, or the right gear, weight of car, etc.. All my friends knew it and most of the police too. Trouble was those police intercepters would pull up next to you at a buck50 and point at you to pull over. Was never scared of a boss 302, or a 428ho. Strokers weren't common back then.
Proud of saying I never lost a race on the street but it was true and dangerous at that. 40 years ago was common to race on the street. Way too dangerous now of days.
The race track was different because you would have to put your big boy pants on if you went to the dragway. Those guys knew how to go real fast.
Ashamed to admit it but I did own a chevy once and went thru 5 different motors in 1 year. They just could not hold up to the lead foot. Pistons here, valve train there. Rods n cranks everywhere.
I do believe any motor can be made to run but my fav was always the 340.
Now if you pulled up in a hemi, then it was time to bow to the king.

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
I like your story about the 340 like I said before I’ve had over 50 cars and yes some of them were Chevys and Ford cobra I’ve had pretty much everything but still my favorite are the Mopar again like a lot of people said by the time you put the same amount of money and a 340 that you do in a440 you got a lot more torque and horsepower and also on your story about beating the 440s the question is what kind of set up that they have what was their gear what was their trans did they have a stall what kind of rubber and on so it’s not just about the motor well as far as I can tell dollar for dollar if you put the same dollar amount in each of them 440 comes out with more horsepower and more torque and if you do the set-up is the same on both cars and the driver on both of them that are just as good as each other that’s just an opinion and I could be wrong but one thing I’m pretty sure about is dollar for dollar on each motor I’m pretty sure the 440 has more horsepower and more torque what should put you in the favor already if you do the rest of the set up is right so are there any engine builders out there that can help me.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I like your story about the 340 like I said before I’ve had over 50 cars and yes some of them were Chevys and Ford cobra I’ve had pretty much everything but still my favorite are the Mopar again like a lot of people said by the time you put the same amount of money and a 340 that you do in a440 you got a lot more torque and horsepower and also on your story about beating the 440s the question is what kind of set up that they have what was their gear what was their trans did they have a stall what kind of rubber and on so it’s not just about the motor well as far as I can tell dollar for dollar if you put the same dollar amount in each of them 440 comes out with more horsepower and more torque and if you do the set-up is the same on both cars and the driver on both of them that are just as good as each other that’s just an opinion and I could be wrong but one thing I’m pretty sure about is dollar for dollar on each motor I’m pretty sure the 440 has more horsepower and more torque what should put you in the favor already if you do the rest of the set up is right so are there any engine builders out there that can help me.
Of course they do. I would never knock on a 440 because they are awesome motors but also 300lb heavier. Personally I had a small cam upgrade and a gear to go with it. The other car was a stock 440 with headers and stock stall in a 71 dart.
I had a 440 in a 69 dart and that front suspension knew it was up there. I would tend to think an e body would fend a lot better with the extra weight but handling is still impaired somewhat. Aluminum heads would cut that down a lil.

fasjac

Reaction score
I love them both and have/had some of each. Just something about a big block on the big end. Nothing like hitting high gear and just pulling away. :steering:

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
I am still considering both work I have been looking at aluminum head roller cam combinations and Jegs looking at CNC elder Brock speed master And promax as options I do not know which ones are better I am looking for the CNC port not sure to get roller or tappet but pretty sure roller is what I would prefer the roller rockers and roller cam looking for suggestions not sure how to read the different cc and things like that I could really use some help.

fasjac

Reaction score
I am still considering both work I have been looking at aluminum head roller cam combinations and Jegs looking at CNC elder Brock speed master And promax as options I do not know which ones are better I am looking for the CNC port not sure to get roller or tappet but pretty sure roller is what I would prefer the roller rockers and roller cam looking for suggestions not sure how to read the different cc and things like that I could really use some help.
For heads, also check out the trick flow 240 & 270's, I have eddy's on my BB and they are fine, Trick Flow really looks good out of the box.

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
You know I did see those and I was looking at those too i’m really looking for someone that really knows how to build Engines and tell me which heads are better for around two grand and hopefully with a cam as a kit like I was seeing them in those brands I had mentioned it was in that price range with the roller cam but what I really don’t know is how many cc should I be buying 70 to 85 or what? and I’m sure it has to do with my piston compression ratio just to stay on pump gas but I’m new to this I need somebody to guide me and I wanna buy the parts while they’re still on sale if somebody could help.

Back