• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New wheels are here, and mocked up

DrEamer

Reaction score
After a 5 month wait, my front wheels showed up this week. So today I mocked them up on the rear to take measurements to order the rear set. Also, I made sure that there is plenty of clearance for the front brake calipers. I still have to get the center cap mounting figured out, but just used tape to hold it in to see how it would look. I'm happy with the end result. For those who want to know, these are Billet Specialties Super Sports in 17x8. I wanted the Magnum 500 look in a modern size.

20220227_155149.jpg

20220227_160236.jpg

DrEamer

Reaction score
They look Great! Maybe some pics later when you get the tires mounted! Definitely worth the wait! 😀
Thanks, I still am deciding on which brand of tires to go with, but have the sizes picked out.
Beautiful. And the 17 inch size is great.
Thanks, I'm going with 18's on the back just because the tire selection is better in the wider sizes that I want.

willstoy

Reaction score
After a 5 month wait, my front wheels showed up this week. So today I mocked them up on the rear to take measurements to order the rear set. Also, I made sure that there is plenty of clearance for the front brake calipers. I still have to get the center cap mounting figured out, but just used tape to hold it in to see how it would look. I'm happy with the end result. For those who want to know, these are Billet Specialties Super Sports in 17x8. I wanted the Magnum 500 look in a modern size.

View attachment 91174

View attachment 91175
Looks great! Can you share the sizes and your tire size choices as well?

DrEamer

Reaction score
Looks great! Can you share the sizes and your tire size choices as well?
I'm running 17x8 with 4 1/2 backspace on the front and planning on 245/45/17 tires. The rear will be 18x10 with 5 inch backspace, the tires will be 285/35/18's. The car has a '67 B body width housing with my planned 4 link conversion gives my a lot of room in the back.

cudaragtop

Reaction score
I'm running 17x8 with 4 1/2 backspace on the front and planning on 245/45/17 tires. The rear will be 18x10 with 5 inch backspace, the tires will be 285/35/18's. The car has a '67 B body width housing with my planned 4 link conversion gives my a lot of room in the back.
Wheels look great!
Polished aluminum or are they chromed?

Did they create New Part Numbers for them so others could order them as well?

DrEamer

Reaction score
Wheels look great!
Polished aluminum or are they chromed?

Did they create New Part Numbers for them so others could order them as well?
They are polished aluminum. I was able to use the part numbers available at Jeg's to fit my car. It saved quite a bit of money over ordering the same spec from other vendors. Also, I used their discount code for even a better deal.

Rons340

Reaction score
Great looking set of wheels! I've always been partial to the road wheels. The size and stagger that you are using should be a home run!
Definitely worth the wait!!

DrEamer

Reaction score
Great looking set of wheels! I've always been partial to the road wheels. The size and stagger that you are using should be a home run!
Definitely worth the wait!!
Thanks, I don't know how many hours that I spent trying to find the right wheels, but when these came out I knew they are what I wanted. I've been pleasantly surprised by the positive response from those who are from the OE only crowd. I really did not need their approval, but it really nice to see and appreciated none the less.

DrEamer

Reaction score

See what you can do...
As much as I would love to use only US made tires, I have many other considerations that need to be thought out. I spent close to 7 years in the tire industry, so maybe my perspective is clouded by that. My tire size choices are based on the fact that both sizes are common enough to be made by multiple companies, and available in matched sets for front/rear. Another factor is availability of the brand chosen. The bigger companies are sold through more dealers, so if I need a replacement it will be more likely to be available wherever I go. The other consideration is the things like tread compounds, performance, road noise, comfort etc.. After taking all that in, I am leaning towards Michelin or Continental/General.

i_taz

Reaction score
I get it, not like there's many choices now that Goodyear owns Cooper anyway.

BTW, Maybe you heard of small company the used to make M/T before they got
gobbled up by Cooper. Denman, I heard they went bankrupt. They made a better
tire than Cooper did. The Polyglass are being made in Indiana PA

DrEamer

Reaction score
I get it, not like there's many choices now that Goodyear owns Cooper anyway.

BTW, Maybe you heard of small company the used to make M/T before they got
gobbled up by Cooper. Denman, I heard they went bankrupt. They made a better
tire than Cooper did. The Polyglass are being made in Indiana PA

Wow, I have not heard the Denman name much since I left the tire business in the mid 90's. We sold their off road tires, most notably the Ground Hawg. I think other companies started making better tires, not to mention radials, and they did not adapt. Sadly it looks like the went under in 2010.

fasjac

Reaction score
As much as I would love to use only US made tires, I have many other considerations that need to be thought out. I spent close to 7 years in the tire industry, so maybe my perspective is clouded by that. My tire size choices are based on the fact that both sizes are common enough to be made by multiple companies, and available in matched sets for front/rear. Another factor is availability of the brand chosen. The bigger companies are sold through more dealers, so if I need a replacement it will be more likely to be available wherever I go. The other consideration is the things like tread compounds, performance, road noise, comfort etc.. After taking all that in, I am leaning towards Michelin or Continental/General.
I will tell you, I’m a Michelin fan on our family cars/SUV’s. Most have held up very well.
My late boss had a restomod 70cuda (supercharged 6.1) and insisted we change from Nitto n55’s (if memory serves) to Michelin pilot. I can tell you the the ride was good cruising but, zero traction when moderately accelerating. I really like Michelin tires but. too slick on this car. Just sharing.

gzig5

Reaction score
Details on the four link? Commercial or home-grown? I am strongly considering a four link for my car.

Back