• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newbie questions

74chlngernewbie

Reaction score
Bought a 74 Challenger. Was originally a 318 4 speed, converted to 360 with 727auto. Want to put a 440 and a833 in. Any advice is appreciated. What issues might I run into?

Screenshot_20211214-210448-594.png

moparleo

Reaction score
The engine, simple.
The 4-speed lots of parts and $$$. Trans tunnel, pedal assembly, linkages, shifter, console, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, good trans, driveshaft, lots of misc.. parts...
Will be nose heavy. Upgrade torsion bars, shocks, brake pads,

70chall440

Reaction score
Well since you started with a 4spd car you are way ahead of the program. All you need is the 440, a BB bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and a new throw-out bearing.

70chall440

Reaction score
The engine, simple.
The 4-speed lots of parts and $$$. Trans tunnel, pedal assembly, linkages, shifter, console, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, good trans, driveshaft, lots of misc.. parts...
it is an original 4spd car according to what he is saying.

I have a 70 440 AT Challenger and yes they are nose heavy when compared to a SB car but if it is a driver it doesn't really matter IMO. Good suspension (especially sway bars and shocks) and good brakes and it will be ok.

That said there are a lot of options these days and if it is a purely power thing, then you can do a lot with a SB and get really good power without the weight.

I know some will disagree with me but in my mind I always wanted a BB in my Challenger, SB in a Cuda is fine but for some reason (misspent youth) I always had to have a BB (although I did have a number of SB Challengers).

74chlngernewbie

Reaction score
The engine, simple.
Well since you started with a 4spd car you are way ahead of the program. All you need is the 440, a BB bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and a new throw-out bearing.
Where can I find TO bearing. Haven't been able to. The a833 I have is a23 spline

70chall440

Reaction score
Well thats a pretty common item, google is your friend... here is a couple

https://www.https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1970/dodge/challenger/parts/h70112.htmlmanciniracing.com/mcthbe1.html

Try Brewers, Passion, Mancini, Summit, Jegs, etc..

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome from Arkansas!
It’s relatively easy on the BB going in the existing K member. I’d put the MT tunnel back in or correct what’s there. Get the right trans cross member, z-bar and hardware, shifter and linkage etc.
You’ll need to modify the engine harness (not a big deal) or buy a new one for a BB.
Think about torsion bars, what’s there will work but, upgrading would be good. It will be a bit heavier than the SB. This swap is pretty common on these cars. Show us some pics when you get time. Looking forward to seeing it.

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Nice looking Challenger.
Good luck with your BB conversion.
Definitely upgrade the suspension to deal with the extra weight (torsion bars / springs)
A BB is a common conversion; as fasjac suggested, a 408 stroker small block would be a blast to drive and give you BB power

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
My opinion.I would have fun and run the wheels of it.Then I would make changes to suit my personal preferences. The previous opinions are all good and sound.I know 2 brothers,one has a 69 440 charger (Great cruiser)the other has a 74 challenger 360 stroked. (talk about fun in the Sun). My whole point make the best of what you have. have fun while deciding.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! The only issue I can see is that you won't be able to stop smiling.... :lol:

But I agree on the suggestion to get in contact with Brewer's. They're very knowledgeable and helpful.

Back