• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No Crank Issue

sportster2000

Reaction score
Alright, this one may be hard to follow but I will try my best to explain what is going on. My on going project 1974 Challenger, I have replaced all of the wiring harnesses except for the one that goes to the ignition switch. I still have a lot left unplugged under the dash, accessories stuff. I have everything under the hood connected. I tried to start it for the first time since putting it mostly together. No crank condition. I trace it down to the ignition wire on the starter solenoid not getting power through it to the solenoid. I do not have seats in it. I have some pictures that I have taken of some of the wiring but I don't know which ones you all would want to look at. What could be stopping the ignition signal to the stater solenoid?

AUSTA

Reaction score
Man or Auto auto could be the neutral inhibit switch on the transmission closed in neutral.
Relay next to battery should click when key is turned

sportster2000

Reaction score
It is a manual. I have the only sensor on the transmission plugged in. There is no safety switch on the clutch assembly. The relay next to the battery is not clicking when the key is turned on.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
If the ammeter isn't connected, the whole electrical system will be dead. At least on a stock wiring system.

71RT383

Reaction score
Manuals have the Clutch Starter Safety Switch located on the left inner side of the clutch/brake pedal assembly. Needs to be engaged ( clutch depressed) to allow car to start.

sportster2000

Reaction score
Ammeter is connected. I guess I need to get a clutch safety switch then. What is the black box located near the ignition relay?

AUSTA

Reaction score
Is this under the hood or dash if it is under the hood it could be the alternator voltage regulator held on with 2 bolts.

AUSTA

Reaction score
On your starter relay you should have a dark Green & Yellow wire
When you press the clutch in the Dark green wire will short to ground & when the key is turned the yellow should have 12 VDC
Do not bridge the relay without first checking the vehicle is in neutral & the brake applied otherwise the vehicle may lurch forward when cranked.

FLY'NFISH

Reaction score
Would this car being a '74 have the seatbelt safety interlock system like my 'Cuda? I know the seats are not in it but still could be causing a problem. Mine is an auto and not sure about manuals. Just a thought.

dadeo1852

Reaction score
I'm betting clutch safety switch 'cause this happened to me when I was detailing the engine compartment and unknowingly unplugged it, no clicking/nothing. Plug in harness is near starter relay but naturally you'll need the switch.

sportster2000

Reaction score
Is this under the hood or dash if it is under the hood it could be the alternator voltage regulator held on with 2 bolts.

It is under the hood.

Right now the car is on jack stands because I have not adjusted the shifter linkages properly so starting the car in gear is a non issue to me right now. The car was an automatic originally. I bought the parts from Brewers and the kit did not come with a clutch switch. I suppose I need to buy one now and figure out where it goes on the assembly.

Reaction score
For now to get it cranking, just take a jumper wire from the starter solenoid terminal where the clutch switch would connect, that's where your auto Trans wire from the neutral safety switch connected, and run it to a known good ground, until you can get a neutral safety switch figured out.
I'd also adjust my shift linkage and find neutral in the Trans before starting it, that way your not turning the Trans and rear axle when cranking it.

sportster2000

Reaction score
There are a few issues I have to work through in order to be satisfied with the progress that I am making on it. Baby steps are what it will take.

sportster2000

Reaction score
Got it started. Car was on jack stands in neutral. No clutch safety switch installed. It was the seat belt wiring that was stopping it. Yellow wire with a white trace on it. Bypassed that and got it going.

Back