• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

no gas.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
if your tank has enough crap to clog the filter, I would drop it and clean it out. Further, an inline filter between the fuel pump and carb is a must-have, in my opinion. Cutting the hard line is harsh, though.
brand new tank

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Sometimes you have got to pay to play! Not a good idea to install a filter on the tank side of the pump. And you should already have an inline filter between the pump and carburetor.
explain why it is not a good idea to have a filter on the tank side...not enough room to install a filter between pump and carb

michael bucklew

Reaction score
fuel pump pulls" vacuum. pulled pickup tube from tank. the in tank filter is a bag containing filter material. this may be the problem. pump is unable to suck through the material'. memory serves me that the oem filter was a small can like device. solution----remove in tank filter and put an inline filter before pump-------have 5gal. of fuel in tank
this is the reason that there was no gas being pumped to the carb. material is sponge like and it was swollen twice the size when removed out of tank photo on right shows the sponge inside the "filter"

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

Xcudame

Reaction score
Pumps are designed to push liquid and don't pull very well. So putting a filter downstream will effect it's ability to suck fuel. That's why there's usually a metal fuel filter right above the mechanical pump. The filter on the pickup tube in the tank is really just a metal screen. Some of the cheaper after market pickup tubes use a plastic screen which aren't as good.
I'm not familiar with the filter you're showing that was in the tank. I'm used to seeing something like this.

shopping (1).jpeg

Xcudame

Reaction score
It's also why electric fuel pumps are mounted as close to the tank as possible. They push fuel better than they pull fuel.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Pumps are designed to push liquid and don't pull very well. So putting a filter downstream will effect it's ability to suck fuel. That's why there's usually a metal fuel filter right above the mechanical pump. The filter on the pickup tube in the tank is really just a metal screen. Some of the cheaper after market pickup tubes use a plastic screen which aren't as good.
I'm not familiar with the filter you're showing that was in the tank. I'm used to seeing something like this.

View attachment 109949
not going to buy another unit..where can I get that "filter"? on my '71 all I ever had was a mechanical pump. drove car until '86 with the 750cfm holly

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
More to the point. Fuel pumps tend to be stronger pushing, than pulling, that's why you mount them lower than the gas tank. So gravity helps prime and feed them. So with filters, it is a good idea to use a lower restriction one before the pump, and/or a normal one after. The tank filter is more of screen,unlike a filter that have multiple layers. You buy junk you get junk.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
More to the point. Fuel pumps tend to be stronger pushing, than pulling, that's why you mount them lower than the gas tank. So gravity helps prime and feed them. So with filters, it is a good idea to use a lower restriction one before the pump, and/or a normal one after. The tank filter is more of screen,unlike a filter that have multiple layers. You buy junk you get junk.
new tank. will put filter before pump. no room for after pump filter, factory a/c. barely enough room to connect fuel line to carb

Xcudame

Reaction score
There's more room under the AC pump and between the alternator and timing cover
then you think. The filter was normally installed in the fuel tube right after it makes the bend from the fuel pump outlet going up to the top of the engine.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
There's more room under the AC pump and between the alternator and timing cover
then you think. The filter was normally installed in the fuel tube right after it makes the bend from the fuel pump outlet going up to the top of the engine.
just looked. there is roomiest requires moving alt to get to the area-----to me its a maybe project.....if I can recall, there was or was not one from factory

Xcudame

Reaction score
Yes, the alternator has to be removed. Then there's some room for a metal fuel filter.

The copper looking one is made out of metal mesh (brass?). The white one is made out of some kind of plastic similar to more modern submerged in the tank pumps.

I (we) just want to make sure you can enjoy driving your mopar for years to come without any fuel related problems. Being stuck on the side of the road is for the other makes, not mopars. :)

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Yes, the alternator has to be removed. Then there's some room for a metal fuel filter.

The copper looking one is made out of metal mesh (brass?). The white one is made out of some kind of plastic similar to more modern submerged in the tank pumps.

I (we) just want to make sure you can enjoy driving your mopar for years to come without any fuel related problems. Being stuck on the side of the road is for the other makes, not mopars. :)
as memory serves me, I was a "white" plastic with brass screen/vert fine mesh

Back