• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

no gas.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
fuel pump pulls" vacuum. pulled pickup tube from tank. the in tank filter is a bag containing filter material. this may be the problem. pump is unable to suck through the material'. memory serves me that the oem filter was a small can like device. solution----remove in tank filter and put an inline filter before pump-------have 5gal. of fuel in tank

Xcudame

Reaction score
Doesn't sound stock. Should look like this. I would get a new one and not add another filter.

download (6).jpeg

Steve340

Reaction score
The in tank is more of a "strainer" any filter is always on the pressure side of a mechanical pump.
Go stock avoid unforeseen problems.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
looked for replacement $59.95to $129.95. single hose, no return. my fix,eliminate the "filter" in my tank and insta;; an on-line filter near the fuel pump

Steve340

Reaction score
That will work provided the fuel tank is not a rusty old thing. A filter will only get the lumps anyway all the fine stuff ends up in the carburettor no matter what.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Sometimes you have got to pay to play! Not a good idea to install a filter on the tank side of the pump. And you should already have an inline filter between the pump and carburetor.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Sometimes you have got to pay to play! Not a good idea to install a filter on the tank side of the pump. And you should already have an inline filter between the pump and carburetor.
not enough room from pump to carb.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
What are you driving a Ford or chevy? Short cuts is why they have problems. I think your on the wrong site. Here's where the filter goes on a small block, between the carb and pump. there should be a screen filter in the tank. It was put there for a reason.If not you'll be sitting like a ford.

20200205_153732.jpg

20200611_181104.jpg

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
What I am confused about is that I purchased a new fuel line from pump to carb (either from Year One or Classic or ?) and it is a single steel line, no interruptions. Therefore it does not have a gap with two flared ends to allow an installation of a fuel filter between the carb and pump unless I cut a section out and flare the ends myself. Guess that's what I will do after reading the horror stories here.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Cut your fuel line.Use the brake flaring tool and put a bubble on the tube.If Derbies get into the carb seat and float sticks. Well don't want to go there.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
there is no room to put a filter where the picture shows. Running a Holly 750cfm dbl pumper. factory a/c takes up a lot of room.

pschlosser

Reaction score
if your tank has enough crap to clog the filter, I would drop it and clean it out. Further, an inline filter between the fuel pump and carb is a must-have, in my opinion. Cutting the hard line is harsh, though.

Back