• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Non-Factory AC Retrofit Kit Suggestions Please???

1970GranCoupeCo

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda with a 340. The car is a non-factory AC car with a standard instrument cluster.

There are a lot of kits to choose from out there and I was wondering what kit you all would recommend.

I do not want to drill any holes in the firewall so is there a kit that does not require drilling?

I presume that the balancer pulley will need to be replaced with a two belt version.

What brackets are required?

I am looking for that "stock factory" look so a kit that is built as close looking to factory would be best.

If you can PLEASE send some pictures that would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

1970GranCoupeCo

Reaction score
Also with the retrofit kits can you retain the original fresh air ducts or do they get replaced?

rogue

Reaction score
i have a classic auto air kit... no changes to ducts or drilling extra holes or anything...

1970GranCoupeCo

Reaction score
Rogue,

THANKS for the information.

Was your car a heater only car?

How cold is the AC?

Got pics???

1970GranCoupeCo

Reaction score
> no changes to ducts or drilling extra holes

The heater only cars have the two fresh air ducts that are controlled with the "VENT" push/pull knobs in the center of the dash.

Can the two ducts be retained with the Classic Auto Air system?

rogue

Reaction score
It was an original AC car. As far as a non-AC car i think you'd want to call classic auto air to see about how it fits and it there are any mods required. It's pretty cold, down to the advertised temp which i can't recall but i measured it when i put the system in. The real limit is the blower fan in the original heater box which isn't the greatest. Overall i'm satisfied. The wiring in the pic is a mess but the engine was recently installed and the wiring wasn't cleaned up yet.
20170704_143647.jpg

Back