• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil Pressure Gauge??

VillaTA

Reaction score
While driving last week, I noticed that the oil pressure gauge was at the “L”. I was worried and parked the car. Checked oil. It was full. I changed oil as I was planning on it anyway. Just wondering how to test quickly and definitively that nothing else is wrong. I don’t wanna run the car and cause damage. Any thoughts are appreciated.

VillaTA

Reaction score
This was the factory gauge that quit. This gauge stopping working seemed to have coincided with my installation of my aftermarket water temp gauge. Guess I’m gonna have to buy another gauge. 🤬

VillaTA

Reaction score
I’m wondering if this could be the voltage regulator going out. Several forum members mentioned this previously when I was trying to diagnose my buzzing noise and amp drop when I turn on the key. Would that make the gauges quit working?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
"amp drop when I turn on the key" It should go to the discharge side when not running. And yes both the voltage regulator that controls the charging system and the voltage limiter on the gauge cluster effect they way your gauges work.or a bad ground!

VillaTA

Reaction score
Can anyone advise what the proper RPM should Be for testing the oil pressure on my TA? I bought a manual gauge and I want to be sure that it is just my dash gauge that quit.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
A lot of variables , with a stock pump cold idle should be 40 psi , hot 30 or more as long as you have 25 hot at idle it's ok . Oil pressure will rise with RPM of course .
Type of oil used , type of oil pump high volume or pressure , brg clearances when the engine was built or the amount of miles on the engine will make a huge difference . my engine would idle cold at 110 & idle hot around 70 with the pressure rising with RPM for example

VillaTA

Reaction score
Lost cause anyway cause I can’t get any room to get a wrench on the sender to remove it. 🤬

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Wow , I never had problems , there is a 1/2 hex under the body of the sender to get wrench on .

VillaTA

Reaction score
I got it off. 🤣. This is at idle.

Attachments

• 692C4DC9-DC48-49C5-BAD7-60A7969B264D.jpeg
    692C4DC9-DC48-49C5-BAD7-60A7969B264D.jpeg
    816.6 KB · Views: 109

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
No it is not bad 70 is is awesome , obviously a high pressure pump & good clearances , anything above 25 is good

Back