• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Opinions on '71 Challenger

rikkitik

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently looking for an E body, I happened to see this one on CL.
It decodes as a 318, auto, b5,b5, black interior, console car, (owner forwarded pic of FT).
It now has a warmed over 440, and front discs, as well.
That is good for me, as I'm not looking for an original, looking for a BB "builder" to take where I want.
On the plus side, (for me anyway);
'71 (my favorite), originally blue (not a color change car), decent black interior, 440, not too recent paint (should be starting to blister if hiding rust), generally clean overall (to me)
On the minus side;
Not an M/T car, standard gauge set (both of which I can change)
I'd love to hear opinions on the car and value, as I've been away from Mopars for a while.
Thanks much! Price is $29,500

00F0F_b6UhKexQuvV_600x450.jpg

00k0k_iHlt40AMacQ_600x450.jpg

00p0p_g75jWTj4t8E_600x450.jpg

00s0s_8hLcrdEHeT8_600x450.jpg

00b0b_cEYT4x5xTtb_600x450.jpg

00E0E_edBpVnKvEa0_600x450.jpg

KATSAAR

Reaction score
the values are all over the place.
depending on many factors.
it looks clean on the bottom and the int looks good.
only the guy that painted it last knows what's under the paint.
if its bubbling there's a surprise waiting under there for you.
its a 318 car that looks like a nice driver.
is it worth 28 . ??????????

quapman

Reaction score
The price seems a bit steep, but it looks to be a well-done car. I get nervous when I see zip-ties. I'm thinking a real R/T would fetch that much, but not a JH. On the other hand, could you build one for that price? It's quite a quandary.

I just noticed the black-bombed trunk. Gack.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Looks like a decent driver car with a lot of work done. I see disc brakes, driver paint w a clean interior. The bb 440 is a plus if in good condition. I also see new new brake lines, and front end parts. Someone did a driver rebuild. I would agree w previous comments: you couldn't rebuild a car for the money. I would try to get the price down to mid 20's k. Driver quality RT Challengers can be had for 30-35 k.
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The price isn't too far out of line I guess and it sounds like it fits the description of what you're looking for. I would say do the best inspection you can on it and don't show him all the Benjamin's in your pocket.

rikkitik

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback.
Part of the reason for the question is that the car is a fair distance from me (9-10 hour drive ). But it does check off a lot of what I'm looking for.
Around here, (California), it seems like minimum "asking" price for an R/T clone is $45-$50, with "real" cars in the +$60k range. Granted, that's "asking", I don't know true sales price.
I did talk to the owner, he mentioned that he turned down $27. I didn't talk money with him though, as even I'm tired of the CL "what's your bottom dollar" BS you get...

autoxcuda

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback.
Part of the reason for the question is that the car is a fair distance from me (9-10 hour drive ). But it does check off a lot of what I'm looking for.
Around here, (California), it seems like minimum "asking" price for an R/T clone is $45-$50, with "real" cars in the +$60k range. Granted, that's "asking", I don't know true sales price.
I did talk to the owner, he mentioned that he turned down $27. I didn't talk money with him though, as even I'm tired of the CL "what's your bottom dollar" BS you get...

Those are asking prices. And sounds like dealers and eBay people.

Are you going to local large swap meets and mopar events with cars for sale? Pomona, Turlock, Long Beach, nor cal swap meet Are you involved with your local mopar community?

I know if a 75% original paint '70 383 red challenger r/t one owner so cal in the range of those close prices. IIRC it was less than that. Very nice cruiser.

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
It appears to be a pretty good car and tidy in the pics.
So long as the car is good and you are happy with it.
It sounds like you want to do some mods anyway so maybe leave the more original higher dollar cars alone.
2 or 3 K will soon be forgotten about.
Get a good car or you will blow a lot more than that trying to fix one.

seneca

Reaction score
Actually you did talk money with him; he told you he turned down 27K. Sounds like he's pretty firm on the 29.5k number. The next move is yours. Good luck.

rikkitik

Reaction score
It sounds like you want to do some mods anyway so maybe leave the more original higher dollar cars alone.
Exactly, I passed on buying a complete original '66 Hemi 4spd Charger ($6,500 in 1985) for that reason. I like my Mopars with fat tires and "rocky" idles. I appreciate originals, just don't want to own one myself, (or screw one up...lol ).
That's why this one piqued my interest.
Thanks

Steve340

Reaction score
If the 1971 is your favourite go for it there are far less 71's to chose from.
From what I read they only made approximately 23,000 hardtops in 1971. A bit of a disaster for Chrysler but it makes the model rarer now.
I own a 71 and like the grille and taillights of the 1971 better.

rikkitik

Reaction score
My favorite grill/rear too. Plus the limited "badging" on non "ornament"(?) cars. DODGE on the hood, Challenger on the tail, and the Pentastar on the side, that's it. ☺
I think that's the correct term, isn't it? The ornament package gave you the side script, and side R/T badge was optional, true?

Steve340

Reaction score
My car is a non R/T with the stripe kit and it has Challenger on the fenders.
I believe they should also have Dodge on the trunk lid, mine does.
I think you have the terms right but I am not to sure on the options they had quite a few.

michael

Reaction score
This car looks very similar to my 71...same color,black interior and engine. When I put mine back together I had the grill and taillight painted RT style. Mine is a 4 speed with a rally dash..originally a 383 4bbl(long gone) knowing the $ I have in my ride you could not reproduce this car for 29k. Just saying.

Back