• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cuda/Challenger value Comparison

Zirus01

Reaction score
Curious to see if anyone thinks I’m crazy for this or pretty even deal.
I have numbers matching 383 auto 70 Cuda I’m think about trading for a 70 Challenger RT triple black u code 4-speed car.
The challenger is not matching numbers however. It does have fender tag though.

I know it all comes down to what I prefer but I also don’t want to make an upside down trade value wise. The tx9 challenger was just freshly repainted too but non matching engine and trans hurts value I know. Curious what some opinions would be if it’s fair deal?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Lots of variables but I would value Challenger with 440 higher , It is also the car I would choose of the 2 but then I never learned to drive an Automatic LOL

moparleo

Reaction score
When the cars were new, Dodge was the upscale Higher priced carline, Plymouth was the Economy lower priced carline.
Chrysler the Premium line and Imperial the top of the line..
Which one would you buy if they were both for sale at the same price ?
It is the one that is the most desirable that you want.
Cars are a hobby, not an investment unless you have a Hemi or Six Pack car that you bought back in the 80's when they were not desirable and cheap.
Buy the one you like the most and enjoy it. Value doesn't matter on anything until you actually sell it.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
If it was an original U code 4 speed car, I'd probably make that trade, but I'd be more excited about it if the Challenger wasn't a vinyl top car. Never understood black vinyl tops on black cars.

Xcudame

Reaction score
There are definite pluses and minuses of both cars. It really comes down to which one you prefer. For the numbers guys, do you know if the Challenger has a 440 and 4-speed of the correct build dates that could have come in that car (as opposed to a 78 440 and 68 4-speed)? That might make it more valuable to the right buyer.
Or just be like me and own one of each - a Challenger and a Barracuda. It's only money. And you can't take that with you into the after life!

Zirus01

Reaction score
There are definite pluses and minuses of both cars. It really comes down to which one you prefer. For the numbers guys, do you know if the Challenger has a 440 and 4-speed of the correct build dates that could have come in that car (as opposed to a 78 440 and 68 4-speed)? That might make it more valuable to the right buyer.
Or just be like me and own one of each - a Challenger and a Barracuda. It's only money. And you can't take that with you into the after life!
i would love to have one of each for sure. I think i might have to choose between another one and the wife. haha.

Correction, i did find out the 440 is in fact matching afterall. they were mistaken. numbers line up. it was originally auto and now turned into 4 speed however but nice to see the engine matches. I do like TX9 cars so i think i might go for it. Maybe i can eventually get another Cuda.

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
All things being equal (both cars being in roughly the same condition), I would value the numbers matching higher, but things are rarely equal. I think you would have to weight the condition of each with what you want - I personally like the Cuda's over the Challenger's, but my first car was a Cuda. I would pick the 70 Cuda over just about any E-body, but I also would pick a 72 Challenger over a 70. I like the front and rear on the 72 - 74 Challengers. Maybe thats a little different, but it all comes down to personal preference... if the two cars are close in condition then personal preference is what matters...
(I also have both a Cuda and Challenger - What can I say, I just like E-bodies... lol)

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
i would love to have one of each for sure. I think i might have to choose between another one and the wife. haha.

Correction, i did find out the 440 is in fact matching afterall. they were mistaken. numbers line up. it was originally auto and now turned into 4 speed however but nice to see the engine matches. I do like TX9 cars so i think i might go for it. Maybe i can eventually get another Cuda.
You just changed everything.
Not the numbers engine, but it not being a 4spd and dana car. And if it has a 4spd and no dana, that's a problem.
I was going to say that a 440 4spd challenger could be worth the same as a 383 auto Cuda, but a 440 auto would have me pause.

With money, you can get another of anything!

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Auto to 4 speed conversion for the Challenger would probably kill this for me.
You just changed everything.
Not the numbers engine, but it not being a 4spd and dana car. And if it has a 4spd and no dana, that's a problem.
I was going to say that a 440 4spd challenger could be worth the same as a 383 auto Cuda, but a 440 auto would have me pause.

With money, you can get another of anything!

Agreed. Numbers matching motor is nice, but the auto to 4 speed conversion would probably kill this deal for me. Original TX9 cars are nice, but again, not a fan of the black vinyl top. If your profile pick is the Cuda you'd be trading, I'd stick with the original red 383 car.

Hartman-52

Reaction score
'Cuda cars are generally more desirable and more valuable that the Challenger cars because there were so many less of the 'Cuda's made. I always think of the Cuda as more of the bad boys car.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I was in for the challenger until you changed it from original auto to 4 speed .
I would keep the Cuda.
By the way I own a 70 challenger 440/4 speed and also have owned a 73 Cuda 340/4 speed.

Zirus01

Reaction score
I was in for the challenger until you changed it from original auto to 4 speed .
I would keep the Cuda.
By the way I own a 70 challenger 440/4 speed and also have owned a 73 Cuda 340/4 speed.
Does the trans change make that big of a difference? It has a Dana read end with the 4 speed

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Does the trans change make that big of a difference? It has a Dana read end with the 4 speed
Honestly, I would take the 4spd over the auto, then again I am converting my automatic Cuda to a 6spd.
For me an auto (any power plant) may be nice, but a 4spd gets my heart racing!!!
For numbers matching I would want to get the numbers matching automatic - if possible (to have for future value) but I would keep the 4spd...

Avalanche

Reaction score
You asked for value. Having the original auto trans adds value. I would the 4 speed over auto any day. But the original equipment in a high dollar car makes a big difference.

Mopar426power

Reaction score
Yep, roughly twice as many Challengers made than Barracudas. Here is 1971's production numbers, 1970 ratio is similar.

Barracuda Production Numbers.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The only thing that would concern me is the 2" longer. can I cram it with out damaging it. In the garage of course. So you must have seen it. Do you have pictures? post them for us to see. If you don't have an agreement, some else might be making a deal an will solve your dilemma. Myself I would have both and deal with consequences later. You could always sell one later.
SOOO where is it at?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This reminds me of two girl friends I was trying to choose from. One I was in good with the other was trying to get her in my car. The one I was trying to get in my cay, was at a show. so I went there to find her. As I sat high in the bleachers I spotter her and right beside her was the other and they were both pointing at me. OOOOH SHH*****! All I could do is slip down through the bleaches and vanish. It was a long time until I seen them again. One married the boy next door the other married one of my better friends.
The point being maybe you can have both if you don't get caught. It's not going to be there forever.
Did I mention that was when I was in the Navy.

Back