• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Optimal Rear End

fasjac

Reaction score
This would be my first time changing out a rear end - assumed the casing would be the main thing. Thanks for letting me know about the conversion joint if necessary. I can get a 3.23 but it might be a little too tame at the low end (just saying)...
It won’t be too tame for the street with the manual transmission and the 408. The torque will take care of that. Like others have said, it’s an easy swap anyway. Happy cruising

sir_veza

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input guys. Made a decision and ordered 3 55 - Just waiting for the installation kit to arrive.
20210308_132538 (1).jpg

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi, thought I’d put my recipe into your thought process as well. I have exactly the same description as NoCar340 has mentioned previously. I have a 383 stock engine with an OD 833 4 speed in my car with a 3:55 limited slip rear end. I can Cruise at 70 miles an hour and the engine is tacking at 2500 RPMs. My mileage per gallon is about 15 to 16 miles to the gallon and I am very happy with that recipe. Forgot to mention that I have a fi- tech 400 horse EFI system on it as well. This is not a strip car, but I didn’t build this car to be a strip car. Sometimes you have to compromise in one or two different directions to achieve the goal that you are desiring.

Good luck
Steve

sir_veza

Reaction score
Hi, thought I’d put my recipe into your thought process as well. I have exactly the same description as NoCar340 has mentioned previously. I have a 383 stock engine with an OD 833 4 speed in my car with a 3:55 limited slip rear end. I can Cruise at 70 miles an hour and the engine is tacking at 2500 RPMs. My mileage per gallon is about 15 to 16 miles to the gallon and I am very happy with that recipe. Forgot to mention that I have a fi- tech 400 horse EFI system on it as well. This is not a strip car, but I didn’t build this car to be a strip car. Sometimes you have to compromise in one or two different directions to achieve the goal that you are desiring.

Good luck
Steve
Hi Steve, Literally got mine on the road this week. Upgraded to a Hurst Competition shifter. With the stroked 360 (408) and the new 3:55 gear set it's like a whole different car. (Already have an Auburn Posi in the rear end). Based on my GPS at 70mph I'm around 3000 RPM in 4th gear but feel plenty of power to do more. I've also been using Klotz 628 in the gas for the last couple of years which also kicks it up. I'm very happy with the result!

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Yes, you cars sounds like lots of fun. I bought my car as a project and it came with the 383 engine and thought that I should just go ahead and build it to that engine. The Weight difference between your car and mine with the small block and mine with the big block, your engine would be making probably the same amount of power or more, as my big block and you have all that extra weight that doesn’t have to be carried around like I do.

have fun
Steve

Back