• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Outrage!

moaparman25

Reaction score
California's vehicle code says any modification to the exhaust is illegal, been that way for 20 years, never stopped us tho haha and I was only pulled over for it once, when I came off of the sand dunes in my old built 440 74 ramchRger and I had the exhaust uncorked haha

burntorange70

Reaction score
My mobile devices kind of sucks. Lol. Can't look at the link with out it freezing up.

From what little I did see it looks like a sound ordinance?

Racer57

Reaction score
Its not outlawing the systems, just systems that are loud. Most likely bikes is what prompted it, but it catches everything.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Isn't that what noise ordinances are for? Everything over a certain dB should be covered without the need for a law for everything that could be loud, such as a car or bike.

Racer57

Reaction score
My county has had a 100db ordinance in place for a long time. 20 years or so ago the local Police bought db meters and attempted to use them against bikes. The very first case taken to court the Defense Attorney asked the Officer where he was at, what buildings were in the background, what other vehicles were in the same vicinity and what the humidity was because they were all factors that effected the "reflection" (my word, forget his terminology). Obviously the Officer wasn't able to answer all the questions and the case was thrown out along with the db meters.

ramenth

Reaction score
The motorcycle guys try to say "loud pipes save lives." Seriously, if a Harley guy can pull into the gas station with his ape hangers and uncorked exhaust so loud that I'm trying to fill the tank and talk to Karli through the open back glass of a short box, standard cab Dakota and can't hear her even when she's yelling then I should be able to be able to run uncorked exhaust on the '54 just like they did back in the day.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The motorcycle guys try to say "loud pipes save lives." Seriously, if a Harley guy can pull into the gas station with his ape hangers and uncorked exhaust so loud that I'm trying to fill the tank and talk to Karli through the open back glass of a short box, standard cab Dakota and can't hear her even when she's yelling then I should be able to be able to run uncorked exhaust on the '54 just like they did back in the day.
That's the longest sentence I've ever agreed with, Robert.

ramenth

Reaction score
That's the longest sentence I've ever agreed with, Robert.

For me, it's the hypocrisy in the laws. Like the aforementioned Harley guys, you also have the guys driving tractor trailers with uncorked 8" stacks popping Jakes as they roll up to a red light. And I'm a proponent of over the road trucking as my dad was a truck driver for 25 years. I grew up around 'em and was proud of my old man for being one of the guys keeping the country rolling.

I see signs going into local villages that say "90db limit, engine retarders not allowed within village limits." Awesome! Jakes save lives, you dumbf***s! Yet the truck driver will be pulled over and given the db test and possibly face a high dollar ticket for actually, you know, slowing the truck down before he has to get on the brake pedal. When you have a rolling 80,000# you need all the help you can get getting it to stop.

But the Harley guy, with short pipes, sits there and blips the throttle every chance he gets isn't given a second look. Single out one group of motorists and overlook the other. I thought there was supposed to be equal protection (and application) under the law.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Hypocrisy in the laws is everywhere. Here they can put speakers out on porches that are the size of refrigerators. Then they try to yell over the loud salsa music. The police will do nothing. Yet, the police will ticket and sieze my car. They will do this because it is under a car cover, in my driveway, not running, and not tagged. Follow the money trail and things make more sence.

Back