• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

overdrive automatic transmission install in my 72 barracuda a-500 or 42rh

hvacdr

Reaction score
I was always interested in installing a overdrive in my car I was told that the tunnel frame would have to be cut and fabricated I did not have to cut this it fit in perfect I looked all over for information got bit and pieces of info well I have to pass the torch how to do this.
first there mopar has 4 different overdrive cases 2 are 904 called a500 and 2 are 727 called 518 overdrive cases I was told 93 and older are the 3 wire and newer are 8 wire that is electronic needs computer I used a 3 wire case. the center wire is 12 volts front wire is overdrive ground back wire is torkconverter lockup.
I used a a-500 case used on 318 trucks my transmission rebuilder said the v6 case is the same it has less clutches this case is 2.5 inches longer than a 727 case it uses a 727 yoke good thing I pack rated a driveshaft this case has a fater front and back tail shaft housing it did fit it sits lower than the stock crossmember I made a template and made a new crossmember I cut front and back plates drilled the 4 bolt holes I bolted this to a 2*4 and shimmed a board the same thickness of the frame so the weld shop can weld this strait and square I had them build a 4 inch platform I used a gm transmission mount had to notch the holes to fit had to eyeball the mount holes on the crossmember.
I had to shorten my 727 driveshaft 2,5 inches the stock floor shifter bracket would not work had to make it if this was a colum shift it would fit.
the other thing I had to install pressure switches on the main pressure port on the passenger side of the case 1/4 plug at the 3 oclock position I made a bracket mounted to the robots assembly ear hole well IM out of room any ? send them to me

Adam

Reaction score
Can you please post pics of the rear crossmember; and how is the driveshaft angle?

national

Reaction score
Sounds great!! So what are the results? How much rpms at60-70 mph,what gear
I was always interested in installing a overdrive in my car I was told that the tunnel frame would have to be cut and fabricated I did not have to cut this it fit in perfect I looked all over for information got bit and pieces of info well I have to pass the torch how to do this.
first there mopar has 4 different overdrive cases 2 are 904 called a500 and 2 are 727 called 518 overdrive cases I was told 93 and older are the 3 wire and newer are 8 wire that is electronic needs computer I used a 3 wire case. the center wire is 12 volts front wire is overdrive ground back wire is torkconverter lockup.
I used a a-500 case used on 318 trucks my transmission rebuilder said the v6 case is the same it has less clutches this case is 2.5 inches longer than a 727 case it uses a 727 yoke good thing I pack rated a driveshaft this case has a fater front and back tail shaft housing it did fit it sits lower than the stock crossmember I made a template and made a new crossmember I cut front and back plates drilled the 4 bolt holes I bolted this to a 2*4 and shimmed a board the same thickness of the frame so the weld shop can weld this strait and square I had them build a 4 inch platform I used a gm transmission mount had to notch the holes to fit had to eyeball the mount holes on the crossmember.
I had to shorten my 727 driveshaft 2,5 inches the stock floor shifter bracket would not work had to make it if this was a colum shift it would fit.
the other thing I had to install pressure switches on the main pressure port on the passenger side of the case 1/4 plug at the 3 oclock position I made a bracket mounted to the robots assembly ear hole well IM out of room any ? send them to me

hvacdr

Reaction score
overdrive

when the overdrive turns on the rpm drops around 600 when it locks up the torque converter it drops the rpm 300 my car ha a rallye tach not the most accurate Im a better talker any ? you can call me @ 406 291 7684

Barracuda Buzz

Reaction score
Hey hvacdr, Can I call , I have a 73 Barracuda that I am trying to figure out what to do with the Trans as well ?
I hv a 727 and thought of putting the Overdrive Unit on that or if I should Go with the 518 all together. ?
thanks

Back