• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

P/S conversion '70 Cuda, Need pump suggestions

KowboyKustoms

Reaction score
I have a customer's 1970 Cuda in the shop for drivability upgrades, namely power disc front upgrade and power steering conversion. I have the Firm Feel stage 2 box on it's way as well as the correct steering shaft. Now my headaches move to the pump. The 340 in the car is not the original engine and I have no idea what it originally came from, it's non-A/C and has an iron water pump. I'd like to use the Saginaw pump. I'm finding conflicting information about the brackets for aluminum vs iron water pumps as well as keyed and pressed pulleys.

Help a GM guy out, I've always heard great stories about how helpful you Mopar guys are, lets see it!!!

-N8

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like you have an earlier 340, for instance maybe a 68. The earlier small blocks used a different timing cover and waterpump assembly. You can use an earlier water and power steering pump. I believe it is a federal pump. Or you can change everything over, timing cover, water pump etc. to the newer style. I would change to the newer style. It is the same as a 318. Find a junk yard motor and take eveything, covers, pumps, brackets, bolts, pulleys, etc. and update the Cuda. You can find pics on an internet search of 68 340 Cuda and 70 340 Cuda.

I just looked at a few pics. The timing covers may be the same. It has been awhile since I converted a motor from old to newer style accessories.

Last edited:

KowboyKustoms

Reaction score
I have a '71 Satellite out in the pasture that'll probably never get built, I'll check that out and see what it has. It belongs to another customer so robbing parts is out but it might provided a decent parts breakdown.

Also, do the aluminum pump setups cool better? Another upgrade this guy wants is an electric fan as the car gets pretty hot at idle and putting around town. The flex fan (no shroud) isn't keeping up. We've been running a lot of electrics on our other builds and haven't had any issues but if converting the front of this engine over to an aluminum pump will kill 2 birds with one stone we probably better start there.

-N8

Adam

Reaction score
A fan shroud will help a lot, also I have had problems with worn fan clutches slipping too much, and sometimes the lower radiator hose will collapse from the suction when reved up... see if it has a spring inside of it.

KowboyKustoms

Reaction score
The fan doesn't have a clutch, it's just a straight flex fan. I offered him the choices and prices for each and he decided on electric, shrouds tend to be either expensive or junk. He wants the hoses replaced anyway, this car was built in the late '90's, by a guy I used to work for interestingly enough, and it's getting some routine maintenance while I'm at it, rear brake rebuild, new carb, right hand thread wheel studs, etc.

-N8

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Make sure it gets a fan shroud. That will solve a lot of the cooling problems.

KowboyKustoms

Reaction score
Ultimately what I'd like to find out is if I can mount the newer "pyramid" style Saginaw to this early iron water pump 340. Classic Industries has brackets for iron w/p 340 and aluminum w/p 340 as different part numbers with 1 of the 4 brackets looking slightly different but I find conflicting information on whether it works with the newer style and also whether or not it matters if the pump is iron or aluminum. Then I need a pulley on top of that, $100 for a PS pulley seems fairly ridiculous, but there's no definitive information on which one fits which pump. If I was sure the pumps were all the same I'd just pull one off the various Chevy engines I have laying around and buy the brackets but I also have to worry about pulley diameter and spacing.

I have time on my side on this project (which is rare enough) so I need a definitive yes or no on whether this combo will work before I commit to buy. Mopar information can be so hazy at times, it's a far cry from LS swapping a '69 C10 or mounting a Crown Vic K member in an F100, all that information comes in multiples.

-N8

Back