• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Parking Brake Not Working

mopar70

Reaction score
I need help with my parking brake the pedal goes down very easily and now it just gets stuck and doesn't come back up. It doesn't engage the brakes and now the lever gets stuck. Please help I need to fix this to insure the car.

7071 challenger

Reaction score
I need help with my parking brake the pedal goes down very easily and now it just gets stuck and doesn't come back up. It doesn't engage the brakes and now the lever gets stuck. Please help I need to fix this to insure the car.
Sounds to me that there might be a cable broken and nothing, (except the pedal) is moving. Make shure you have a cable hooked to the pedal. If you do, check if the cable is moving when you depress the pedal. (you can have somebody depress the pedal while you look underneath for any movement). If the cables are moving, the next step is to open the rear drums and check if the brace between the two shows are installed. If they are not there, the shoes won' t engage the drum. Let us know the results.

Robert

Moparparts

Reaction score
i have some good used cables if you need them PM me

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
often the cables will sieze , often you can get them to move enough to get the brakes on but the springs cannot pull the cables back

mopar70

Reaction score
The cable gets pulled that is attached to the pedal but when I opened up the drum nothing moves. Everything seems to be there and the spring on the handle keeps coming forward the little rubber piece broke off.

7071 challenger

Reaction score
The cable gets pulled that is attached to the pedal but when I opened up the drum nothing moves. Everything seems to be there and the spring on the handle keeps coming forward the little rubber piece broke off.
because you user name has "70" in it, I assume that this is the year of your car. If so, you will have 3 cables, one from the pedal, and you will have a bracket, on the driver side, a little ahead of the differential housing, that hooks the 2 other cables, (one for each wheel). When you depress the pedal, the front cable should pull the 2 other cables. Because you told us that the pedal moves very freely, I suspect the front cable being broken. It might move close to the pedal, but maybe not at the other end. Again, i suggest that, you crawl underneath and have somebody depress the pedal and make shure that ALL 3 cables are moving. If your car is a 1970, the cable that goes to the passenger wheel is very long and might be seized. Let us know...

Robert

mopar70

Reaction score
On the pedal assembly the spring keeps coming forward through the hole where could I find that rubber piece to put in there so it keeps the spring back but lets the handle move.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing , I need to find a plastic busing I can drill through the center & split to go around the shaft & slide in on the spring side to hold the spring , easy fix .

Kd8mff

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a routing diagram for the e brake on a 74 Cuda. Any help would be appreciated.

Back