• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pcv valve

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
so I was running without the pcv valve hooked up and had some smoke coming from the breather. So I hooked the pcv up and had to adjust the air idle screws by 5 turns each to richen it out to 14.5 at idle, I have an aem Uego sensor So I think the pcv is bad or not even inside. What is supposed to be in the black cover? And how do i get it off? Tried pulling and twisting but didn't want to break it.

image.png

moparlee

Reaction score
That is the breather cap and you couldn't get it out because the rubber grommet in the valve cover is hard and dried out. There is supposed to be a breather hose connected to it and the other end to your air cleaner. Might need to replace the PCV also.

Racer57

Reaction score
PCV is located on drivers side valve cover. It has a hose that goes to the carb. The breather that you have pictured on passenger side needs a hose going to the air cleaner.
Take the PCV off and shake it, it should rattle. Keep prying on the breather. It will come off. When you do get it off, flush it out real good with a cleaner that gets rid of oil.

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
I actually thought the breather was the pcv valve and had that going to the carb base. There's nothing on the driver side valve cove but a hole where the pcv should be. Good to know. my air cleaner doesn't have any ports for hoses so I'll be putting a filter straight on the breather.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The last breather that I had that was stuck like that I all but destroyed trying to pry it off while it was still mounted to the head. I ended up having to pull the cover off so I could surgically remove the dried up grommet. I'd leave it be and stick a hose on it that runs towards the ground so you're at least not venting that oily smoke all over the topside of your engine. Or better yet find yourself a proper air cleaner. If your engine was tuned with that hose hooked directly to manifold vacuum don't tune it again until you have a proper pcv valve.

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
Have the pcv installed and readjusted air idle screws to lean it back out to 13.5. Should I be able to feel a noticeable vacuum putting my hand over the breather vent?

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
I figured the breather would have some vacuum due to the pcv being hooked to the carb base and creating a vacuum to get rid of crankcase gases/fumes

Back