• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

pickup tube filter Do I really need one?

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Just thinking about this I put a new fuel tank in my car and reused the old sending unit but there was no filter/screen on the end of it. How important are they?I sort of blew it off as not that important when I installed the tank but now I`m having second thoughts.The tank is still dry so if I really need one it`s not too late. I have a filter near the carb wouldn`t that be good enough?If I need one who has them?

ramenth

Reaction score
Run one.

If only for one thing: insurance.

We were driving back from Florida with Pop's Duster when it kept stalling out. At first he couldn't figure it out. Kept playing with the carb, but after a little more diagnostic work he figured it a was fuel starvation issue. The pump wasn't picking up gas out of the tank, but it would pick up gas out a a plastic jug. He worked all night pulling the tank to find a rat's nest. Mind you, the car ran fine for the 1200 miles down. After the second fill on the trip back it started acting up. Someone change a hose on a pump and didn't check it? We don't know, but there the straw, shredded newpaper, etc, was, clogging the factory filter.

Pop took the old filter off the tube and got a metal aftermarket inline fuel filter. He cut the case open halfway to expose the paper element and used a piece of rubber hose to attach it to the end of the pick-up. It's still in the car, by the way.

Now, imagine how much of that crap would have been in the fuel lines if the factory hadn't put a filter on it.

Yeah, the above is a worst case scenario, but that's what the factory filters are engineered for.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Thanks Ramenth,your story reminded me of my old 67 Merc Cougar it had sat for over 10 years. I put it on the road and it kept overheating. I pulled the lower hose off and had a mixture of anti freeze assorted nuts and acorns!:eek: Even found acorns blocking up the water passages when I pulled off the heads!

Back