• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Poly/Plastic Gas Tanks - Anyone making them?

73Challengr

Reaction score
Anyone making poly/plastic replacement fuel tanks for e-bodies? The aftermarket steel/zinc ones are inexpensive enough but I like to do things once. Seems like those poly tanks would last forever.

Last edited:

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Ask any of the people with mid 70's Dodge trucks how well the Poly tanks hold up. They may not rust but they like to split open from straps too tight and or heat. Consider yourself lucky that Ebody's have the steel tanks. They may rust out from sitting in a junk yard but if you drive your car and take care of it there is no reason that tank shouldn't outlive you. IMO of course.

73Challengr

Reaction score
Glad to have the opinions before I order the tank. I'd rather hear it from someone with experience than to burn the cash/time making the mistake myself. Thanks again!

Ask any of the people with mid 70's Dodge trucks how well the Poly tanks hold up. They may not rust but they like to split open from straps too tight and or heat. Consider yourself lucky that Ebody's have the steel tanks. They may rust out from sitting in a junk yard but if you drive your car and take care of it there is no reason that tank shouldn't outlive you. IMO of course.

73Challengr

Reaction score
Did you find someone making poly tanks for Ebodies? I have never heard of any.

Didn't find any... at around $100 bucks i'll probably just get a new one and maintain it properly. My main interest was in avoiding rust issues down the road, but proper maintenance is probably the best preventative.

gzig5

Reaction score
Didn't find any... at around $100 bucks i'll probably just get a new one and maintain it properly. My main interest was in avoiding rust issues down the road, but proper maintenance is probably the best preventative.
If you are really concerned about rust, I think Eastwood has some specific sealers for tanks that should help hold off corrosion it you treat the tank before you install it. Running fuel with no ethanol will help a lot too. It's available in some areas, but I need to go 45 minutes North to get to the area where it is approved so I just try to keep fresh stuff in there by driving it and putting in 5 gallons of 93 each time.

DrEamer

Reaction score
For rust protection on the outside, I beleive Tanks Inc has some powder coated options.

Back