• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power Steering not working

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have my car back on the road but it has no power steering. I took the pump apart and resealed it and I think it is pumping fluid as after the first fill I started the engine and the reservoir went to about 1/2 quart low and it squealing like a steering pump does when low on fluid. I added fluid two more times and the squeal went away. But it steers like a manual. The only part on the entire car that I did not repair or replace is the steering gear box. Is it possible something inside is stuck or plugged? No leaks just no power steering. Thanks.

tonysrt

Reaction score
You may have air in the system. After installing pump did you turn wheel all the way C.W. and then all the way C.C.W.? That' a way of bleeding the system.

Rich G.

Reaction score
When i put my car together I too had no power steering. I drained the fluid and put power steering conditioner in, took it for a ride and still no power steering. Pulled the car out the next day and was going to change the pump but this time it worked fine and has been ever since. Might be worth a try.

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips. I drove it in to the local auto shop to get the front end aligned and now the gear box has started to leak, so I guess it's time for a rebuild. Where would you suggest I send it?

Rich G.

Reaction score
You can change the seals . I’ve changed the steering shaft seal and the pitman arm seal before and it wasn’t to bad to do. If that’s the only thing wrong you might want to try it yourself

340SHAKER

Reaction score
I is pretty loose as well. I had never driven the car before but now that it's aligned is does have some slop. Think I need to freshen her up.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Don’t try to compare it to the newer cars that have no play in them. They’ll never feel like that! LOL .

tonysrt

Reaction score
If you want steering like a new car get a Borgeson steering box. I have it on a 71 Cuda and am so spoiled with it I put in my 74 Duster. I know it's pricey and a little extra work, but in the end it was worth it. Bergman Auto is a sponsor here so you can call him and see what it' s all about. A true Mopar enthusiast.

57fury440

Reaction score
My 57 needed rebuilding. They are known for being loose and sloppy. I sent it to Firm Feel and they did a great job. It feels much better and is much tighter.

57fury440

Reaction score
I had mine done a few years ago. At that time the turn around was a few maybe 3 weeks. I don't remember the cost but they did give me a quote first. They were nice to deal with.

retro70

Reaction score
so, is there an outcome to this issue? I am having problems with my PS now.

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Yes, apparently something internal was stuck or plugged. I had the local Auto Value store send the steering gear box in to a rebuild center called Lares. It came back looking like new and works great.

Back