• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Problems with turning signals

bwdennis

Reaction score
I know this has been covered but I started by replacing all the wiring harnesses on a 70 Challenger and changing over to led bulbs in the dash and turning signals. I changed out the flashers to led compatible ones and put in a new dimmer switch on the floor and replaced the one in the dash also. I also changed to relays for the headlights and they work great. My problem is when I turn on the turning signal all lights blink including the dashlights but the indicator lights on the fender and dash signal correctly. But when I push on the brake or turn on the headlight switch to parking lights or headlights the turning signals work correctly. I am going to replace the brakelight switch tomorrow to see if that helps. I know it could be a ground somewhere in the system but I took all the lights out and wire brushed the grounding areas. The only thing I am not sure is where the dash is grounded and if I have it grounded properly. Does anyone have any ideas to try?

I should also add I put in a new turning signal switch. This started with the led bulb conversion. When I replaced the bulbs with the led bulbs on the old wiring harness it did the same thing.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Well, you said it did the same thing with the old harness when you put in the LED's. So it looks like you probably need to go back to the standard bulbs first to verify what the problem was and then do your bulb conversion system by system to verify that each system is working properly. To convert the whole system and then try to go back and diagnose any problems is the hard way to go.

bwdennis

Reaction score
Well I switched all the bulbs back to regular bulbs and everything works fine. If I put in one led bulb in the place of a 1157 bulb everything flashes unless you turn the parking lights or headlights on. I have decided to forget the led and stick with the standard bubs.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Well I switched all the bulbs back to regular bulbs and everything works fine. If I put in one led bulb in the place of a 1157 bulb everything flashes unless you turn the parking lights or headlights on. I have decided to forget the led and stick with the standard bubs.
Normally when you replace a filament type globe with an led you need a resistor or resistive load across the LED to simulate an incandescent what is happening when you turn on the parking or headlights they become the resistive load add about 7 Ohms 20 Watt in parallel with 1 of the flicker globes

your orig bulb is 12v 21 watts, get the current (I) value, I= P(watt)/E(voltage)
I=21watts/12volts
I=1.75amps
now get the resistance(ohms)
R=V(voltage)/I(amp)
R=12/1.75
R=6.86
now for the wattage of the resistor, your orig bulb is 21 watts, go also for 20watt resistor

Back