• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Question on door latch pin in quarter panel jamb, ‘72 ‘Cuda

Flat-Tappet

Reaction score
I need to lower the door latch pin on my car to better align the closed door to the quarter panel.
Loosening the latch pin with a torx wrench, and sliding it downward to the limit of the hole in the jamb does not give me enough adjustment downward. The pin needs to go lower by perhaps 3/32”.

Questions:
Is the blind nut on the inside of the jamb retained by something?

If I were to completely unscrew the pin, would the blind nut drop down, causing me to take apart the rear seat interior trim to reinstall it?

am I correct in my belief that once the pin and screw are removed, then the hole may be elongated downward to give the range of adjustment I need?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes the nut is retained by tabs bent over to hold the nut, so the pin can be removed yes you can cut the hole lower it just seems weird that the door would be sitting at the right height with the pin that low .

moparleo

Reaction score
Show us a picture of your door and panel you are trying to adjust. Something is not right.
The pin is to hold the door closed, not align a panel.

Attachments

• door-hinge-installation-e-body.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 88

Flat-Tappet

Reaction score
Thanks gents. Agree that the need to alter the pin opening is a bit strange, but getting the door to quarter alignment right means I need to do that.
The existing door gaps have some room to go make this adjustment.

first picture shows the door alignment with it closed and latched. The horizontal body line is seen here with the back edge of the door displaced upward by the high pin location.
4C3E6889-D8FF-44BB-B8E8-39011B59F554.jpeg

second photo below shows the SS window trim in a close-up, with the same upward displacement, again with the door closed.
12EED0C5-8CB8-4100-91A3-A03DCF3982B8.jpeg

the third image below shows the door approaching -but not engaging the pin. the back edge of the door is in a better position if it were to close in at this elevation. But the lead angle on the vertical door striker plate raises the door at the last inch and a half of the full swing closed. Lowering the pin will improve the door alignment.
5F64A308-413F-4721-8005-8005C1F94B89.jpeg

as a comparison, the picture below is of the Drivers side door, where the major horizontal lines and door gaps align very well. Note the low position of the SS door trim relative to the quarter panel. I can live with misalignment up here -as long as the major horizontal body line appears straight from fender-door-rear quarter which it does.
C5875F62-2AE1-4308-953D-CCC32660AB27.jpeg

Leo, I will open up and study the .pdf document you attached before doing anything more.

moparleo

Reaction score
The door should not move up or down if the upper & lower hinge pins are tight to the hinge.
If it was tight, the door would not latch at all.

Open the door to full open. Lift up on the door from the quarter panel side. It should not have any play.
All door adjustments are made at the hinge side of the door. Moving the upper hinge raises and lowers the back of the door.
After you get the door to quarter panel aligned you will probably need to readjust your front fenders.

Back