• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

R65916

340challconvert

Reaction score
Nice car! And very cool with the sequential numbers in conjunction with the other two Mod Squad cars. Very unique!

831 HQT

Reaction score
Beautiful, love the color combo! I'll study the tags later.
August 14th is very early built car and I know the R in front of the order number denotes something but I can't remember what. The car was loaded and I do love the luggage rack option. The tag with 2525 on it was attached under the fender tag and was usually punched with inspectors markings as they signed off on the car down the line but I haven't seen that particular series of numbers.

Thanks for the remarks regarding the little tag; I didn't know that. The 'R' stands for 'Public Relations', together with 'Y98' on the broadcast sheet. This is what Wikipedia says: "The only way to ascertain these 1972 Challenger convertible is to look at its fender tag. On the code line which gives the dealer order number, that number will start with an "R", which designates "Special Meaning" (in this case, a TV 'special promotions' car)."

Here's another picture of one of these cars (IMCDB / The Doris Day Show): Dodge Challenger in "The Doris Day Show"

831 HQT

Reaction score
Nice car! And very cool with the sequential numbers in conjunction with the other two Mod Squad cars. Very unique!

I always thought that with the beginning of a new model year, the serial numbers would start from zero again. So why these early 71 models have numbers in the range of 150xxx and not 100xxx?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Thanks for the remarks regarding the little tag; I didn't know that. The 'R' stands for 'Public Relations', together with 'Y98' on the broadcast sheet. This is what Wikipedia says: "The only way to ascertain these 1972 Challenger convertible is to look at its fender tag. On the code line which gives the dealer order number, that number will start with an "R", which designates "Special Meaning" (in this case, a TV 'special promotions' car)."

Here's another picture of one of these cars (IMCDB / The Doris Day Show): Dodge Challenger in "The Doris Day Show"
The Doris Day Convertible was Plum Crazy with a purple interior. That had to be a customized interior color?
Dino2 (1).gif

831 HQT

Reaction score
The Doris Day Convertible was Plum Crazy with a purple interior. That had to be a customized interior color?
No, I don't think so. I'm pretty much sure it's the normal B5 blue color. Must be a discoloration in some way (California never had Plum Crazy license plates :))

831 HQT

Reaction score
Welcome from So. Cal. From one vert owner to another, great looking car.
Thanks Litchkar,
your looks great too (and I really have to add the warstripes on mine as well).

Last edited:

831 HQT

Reaction score
Yes!! (one at least)
Ah, thank you Jess, so I'm not the only one!

Your white 70' R/T looks fantastic (this seems to be an official Kentucky license plate?)!

And if you ever have to transfer your car to San Francisco:
I'm a delivery driver with decades long experience! Call my boss at his Denver Agency (2900 Inca Street) for an offer; he'll also confirm that I'm the best. Over all these years, we just once had an um minor incident... :rolleyes:. So call with confidence!

340challconvert

Reaction score
I'm dating myself with this one but; I saw the original 1971 Vanishing Point in a move theater in Jersey City when it first came out.
It was that movie that started me on a life-long love of Dodge Challengers.
I was still in college and broke at the time and before I graduated I had purchased my first Challenger RT, a Y 1 383 automatic with drum brakes, used of course for 1000 bucks.
I also bought the movie when it came out in VHS (remember those!) a number of years later.
Today, I have multiple copies of the original in VHS and DVD and the remake in DVD.
Early on it was difficult because the movie was not made available for public purchase and it was a dream to be able to get a taped copy.
Times have changed.
Long Live Kowalski!
Dino2 (1).gif

jt4406

Reaction score
Ah, thank you Jess, so I'm not the only one!

Your white 70' R/T looks fantastic (this seems to be an official Kentucky license plate?)!

And if you ever have to transfer your car to San Francisco:
I'm a delivery driver with decades long experience! Call my boss at his Denver Agency (2900 Inca Street) for an offer; he'll also confirm that I'm the best. Over all these years, we just once had an um minor incident... :rolleyes:. So call with confidence!

jt4406

Reaction score
minor incident...
Did that happen to involve a couple dozers? If I ever decide to have my car transported to Frisco, I'll give Sandy a call (though I would have thought he'd be retired by now). I too saw the movie summer of 71, I was 13. It took me the last 14 years to complete my "souped up somethin' ". And yes it is an official Ky tag (state issued personalized plate), only one like it. Here's a couple more pics.....
Jess
Int a4.jpg
engine bay.jpg

831 HQT

Reaction score
Did that happen to involve a couple dozers? If I ever decide to have my car transported to Frisco, I'll give Sandy a call (though I would have thought he'd be retired by now).

Funny, people always remember these da.. dozers! And yes, Sandy is still there, glad you know him. He's doing fine, but neither he nor I will retire soon, as we are trapped in this Moebius-Strip-Time-Loop-Thing that Mr. Sarafian put us in...

And yes it is an official Ky tag (state issued personalized plate), only one like it. Here's a couple more pics.....

Great pics and I thought that your tag is a very special one!

831 HQT

Reaction score
I'm dating myself with this one but; I saw the original 1971 Vanishing Point in a move theater in Jersey City when it first came out.
It was that movie that started me on a life-long love of Dodge Challengers.
I was still in college and broke at the time and before I graduated I had purchased my first Challenger RT, a Y 1 383 automatic with drum brakes, used of course for 1000 bucks.
I also bought the movie when it came out in VHS (remember those!) a number of years later.
Today, I have multiple copies of the original in VHS and DVD and the remake in DVD.
Early on it was difficult because the movie was not made available for public purchase and it was a dream to be able to get a taped copy.
Times have changed.
Long Live Kowalski!
View attachment 27302

Same with me; VP was the initial spark (although I saw it the first time towards the end of the 70's). And as you I always was looking for the latest versions (VHS-DVD-BluRay-even Laserdisc). A great surprise was when a couple of years ago the english version with the lost Charlotte Rampling scene was released. Will there be another surprise for the 50th anniversary in a couple of years?

Litchkar

Reaction score
I saw it also in a movie theatre when I was in my mid teens. My favorite part was the girl on the motor cycle. I always laugh when I think about the fact that the car used to hit the bull dozers was a Camaro:D

831 HQT

Reaction score
I saw it also in a movie theatre when I was in my mid teens. My favorite part was the girl on the motor cycle. I always laugh when I think about the fact that the car used to hit the bull dozers was a Camaro:D

I once read that the hunt is on for that very Camaro. Because it is assumed that after filming, the wreck ended up in a nearby junkyard or has been ditched in the desert. So it still may be out there somewhere.
And with the Challengers all vanished, the wrecked Camaro would end up to be the ultimate Vanishing Point car... ;)

wingcarenvy

Reaction score
Cool Challenger 831, thats a very special car for sure. Even though it was a conversion it was done by Chrysler back in the day and appeared in a movie to boot. Very special indeed!

P.S. nice garage. I would love to see what else is in your collection.

Back