• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rally Gauges

money pit

Reaction score
Can Rally gauges be installed in a car that has a standard dash? Also, are the dashes on a Barracuda and Challenger the same? Thanks

fasjac

Reaction score
Yes, you can put the rallye cluster in a standard dash. I think the light bar may different and obviously the the dash harness. The dash pads are different between challenger and barracuda. Someone will most likely chime in with more details. Good luck to you.

rklein71

Reaction score
Yes, I installed a rallye dash in my 71 BHG using a standard harness that had a few modifications (not hard) to work with gauges and not idiot lights. I used a standard 3 bulb light bar with hopes to find the rallye light bar. Expensive, I think I might just modify the existing bar to replicate the rallye bar.

moparleo

Reaction score
Standard harness can be used with a few minor alterations for the Tach wire and different oil pressure sending unit for gauges.
70-71 rally gauge cluster is slightly different for the 72-74. Mainly the clock adjustment knob and the 8K tach for 70-71 and 7K tach for 72-74.

rklein71

Reaction score
Standard harness can be used with a few minor alterations for the Tach wire and different oil pressure sending unit for gauges.
70-71 rally gauge cluster is slightly different for the 72-74. Mainly the clock adjustment knob and the 8K tach for 70-71 and 7K tach for 72-74.
Yes, I put 72 on rallye cluster in my 71 for two reasons. 1. I already had it. 2. The later clusters are usually cheaper than the 70/71 units.

Reaction score
one additional item that is required is the heater control panel, It is flat on the top on a rally cluster where as a non rally has a circular cut out for the larger speedo housing on the non rally cluster. It leaves a large half moon hole under the speedo if you don't change it to the rally one.

rklein71

Reaction score
one additional item that is required is the heater control panel, It is flat on the top on a rally cluster where as a non rally has a circular cut out for the larger speedo housing on the non rally cluster. It leaves a large half moon hole under the speedo if you don't change it to the rally one.
I didn't realize that there was a rally heater control panel when I did my conversion. I patched the standard one using piece of abs plastic and chemically welded them together with an acetone abs plastic paste. I recetnly bought a rally heater control and will be fixing it. Point is, you can make it work without a lot of work.

Attachments

• IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    741.5 KB · Views: 154

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a 72 Tach and it's 8 grand, came out of a 72 Challenger with a 318 and fully loaded, AC, console PB,PS and AM/FM cassette player. Too bad car was a rust bucket otherwise would have made a nice car. By the way the vin sequence # is fairly high so it seems nobody has the answer for the change from 8-7 grand on the tach, or did Mopar just use what we have till 8's are gone and then use 7's. So maybe some time in 72 the 8 grand tach made it's swan song.

70chall440

Reaction score
Its relatively easy to make a non-rallye heater control match up to a rallye cluster, I used fiberglass resin on the last one I did.

The 7/8 grand tach issue has been controversial for some time, personally I believe that there is not "pat" answer, rather I think Mopar used them until they were gone which is why they keep popping up in a variety of cars. I "think" that the 8K tach was "supposed" to be a 70/71 deal but they had a number of them and kept using them until they were gone.

ted s

Reaction score
only 70-71 pads are different barracuda and challenger

tonysrt

Reaction score
71 Cuda script "Barracuda" is some kind of a plate not really a decal.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
only 70-71 pads are different barracuda and challenger
1970 Challenger dash pad is different than all others. All others, 1970 Barracuda through 1974 Barracuda and 1971 Challenger through 1974 Challenger, are the same dash pad.

70chall440

Reaction score
1970 Challenger dash pad is different than all others. All others, 1970 Barracuda through 1974 Barracuda and 1971 Challenger through 1974 Challenger, are the same dash pad.
This is incorrect, while it is true that the 70 Challenger pad is different than 71-74 Challengers, the 70 Cuda pad is also different than 71-74 Cudas (and Barracudas) as well. Both 70 Challenger and 70 Barracuda use a recessed script in the pad, in 71 they went to a rectangular plate onto which was affixed a name plate (metal sticker) that read Challenger or Barracuda.

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't realize there was a difference in the dashes. I was about to buy a 74 Challenger rally dash and install it in my 70 Barracuda.

fasjac

Reaction score
Well I have a 71-74 rallye cluster in my 70 RT... not the end of the world.
And I have 70 dash pad in my 73 because I like the script, and had Redline change the tach to 8k. Most people (not here) have no idea.

70chall440

Reaction score
Yeah good point, I have a 70 pad in my 73 Cuda because I also like the script. The problem is that all of the investors, purists, restorers have convinced people that everything must be stock to be of any value. This is why there are like 100 people on here that only post crap for sale, trying to cash in. I love E bodies but they are not sacred or works of art, they are just cars and when the bottom falls out of the collector car market (and it will) there will be a lot of people stuck with overpriced stock show poodles. Stock sucked when they were new and even more so today.

Back