• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rallye Clock Repair

Mikes72

Reaction score
I found a couple of 10 year old threads but wanted to see if there was any new information on repairing the Rallye Clock. Mine does not run when hooked up to power nor does the time adjustment work. I found info on Redline and a quartz conversion kit. Anything new I should be aware of?

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I've done 3 of the Quartz (R-3035) upgrades. if you go that route test the unit first, before doing anything. One of my new movements didn't work right out of the box. I temporarily put the second hand on the shaft to get a good look at it not turning. Be careful pressing on the new retaining clips, the housing's tips are only plastic.

As to why it won't adjust, I have no experience with '72+ styles. Maybe the shaft isn't depressing far enough. Once apart you'll get a better idea.

R-3035(2).jpg

Mikes72

Reaction score
I've done 3 of the Quartz (R-3035) upgrades. if you go that route test the unit first, before doing anything. One of my new movements didn't work right out of the box. I temporarily put the second hand on the shaft to get a good look at it not turning. Be careful pressing on the new retaining clips, the housing's tips are only plastic.

As to why it won't adjust, I have no experience with '72+ styles. Maybe the shaft isn't depressing far enough. Once apart you'll get a better idea.

View attachment 105148
Thanks for the tips. I’ve ordered one of those kits to give it a try.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the instructions that come in the box are okay but not the best. If you want to PM me your email address I can try and send you the PDF of the original instructions by RTE.

John

EW1BH27

Reaction score
FYI, the quartz kit that's in my car was put in decades ago and still keeps perfect time. With that R-3035 kit the second hand is a constant sweep rather than the second by second incremental tick of the original clocks. I'm pretty sure the OER reproduction clock's second hand does the incremental movement. You can have that too for around $400.00 USD.

Hartman-52

Reaction score
I've never seen a factory rallye clock actually working. Mine never have on my two Mopars. I just set the hands at 10 minutes before 2:00 and use my wristwatch for time. 😁

Cudatx9

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me how to kick start an original clock. Take the clock out of dash, pull cover from same and spray lightly with WD-40. Connect directly to battery. This should jump start the clock. I did this about a year and a half ago and it has been working just fine.

pschlosser

Reaction score
There is a copper contact within the factory rallye clock that gets oxidized and stops working. After cleaning the contact, so the clock winds itself, and sets many clocks right, again.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I've worked on the OE mechanisms before finally going quartz. Cleaning the contacts, spaying WD40 all worked for a while. Another thing to consider, is the small pull back spring too weak to overcome the friction and wear of the gear shafts that go through the mounting plates. That spring tension is critical to maintain correct time, it's what causes everything to go into motion. Then the tabs can be bent, to open up the clock, only a few times before they break off. Just sharing some of my experience.

OrigClkMech(2).jpg

Last edited:
Back