• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

RB 440 oil thread size

Cato Vinther

Reaction score
Hey.

Somebody that knows the thread size for oil sender/switch holes? there are two diffrent sizes.
I've mountet a oil press sender in the small hole, and want to mount a oil press switch in the big hole to make some engine cut off system.
What size thread?
and what PSI should i buy for cutoff, 10 psi?

Br Cato

DetMatt1

Reaction score
There are 2 different sizes back there. My Imperial uses both because it has a light and a gauge and the switches/senders don’t interchange.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
So what engines/applications have the 2 sizes? My RB's (440's & 383's) all have the 1/8" NPT if I recall correctly. Yes, two ports into the oil galleries but I think their both the same size on mine. My engines are from '69/'70 B and E bodies, so maybe they were different in earlier years or the larger platform cars?? Now I'll have to go out and recheck those plug sizes. :confused:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
My Imp is a ‘67 440 and this is the 440 out of my ‘68 R/T.
9917D6C8-BACC-4A80-ACD2-D113E60A3725.jpeg

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Time for me to "eat crow". I am WRONG and of course the others are correct.

Here's one of my '69's. Its a 440, Has HEX pipe plug in the larger port. Obviously 1/4" NPT.
PB300018.JPG

Here is a '70 383. Has an ALLEN head pipe plug and is deceptively smaller looking, although closer look confirms it is 1/4" NPT also.
PB300013.JPG

Here's a '69 383, and again it has the HEX pipe plug. Much more noticeable that it is larger.
PB300009.JPG

Lastly, here is a '75 400. Once again, it has the ALLEN head pipe plug that LOOKS smaller at first glance.
P3150021.JPG

Looking back on things, the two engines with the ALLEN head plugs are the most recent engines I've built. I used the same machinist on both of those blocks and I'll bet that's how the allen head plugs in those came about. The other two with the HEX head plugs are most likely factory style plugs, as those have not been messed with in over 35 years. SO........

I would like to sincerely say "I'm SORRY" for the mis-information I first posted. I did not intend to mislead anyone and obviously thought I remembered correctly, but I did NOT. Old age is creeping up on me and it is starting to scare me now.

Thank you DetMatt and IQ52 for setting me straight.

Back