• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear main seal

Ddog1775

Reaction score
My rear main seal is leaking on my 440. Can anyone tell me the best seal kit to buy. Also, has anyone does this with the motor in the car? If so, please give me some tips?!?! Thanks guys

Racer57

Reaction score
My 383 had a real bad leak. The shop that replaced it said the seal that came from CARQUEST lip would've just barley stuck out of the main. They located this and said that it was tough to get into place because it was so much beefier than the standard style. They did not have to lift the engine any, only remove the steering rod. Here's the link to the seal and also a pic of the instructions that comes with it.

http://www.fastfishautoparts.com/Performance-Engine-Seals.html
Fast Fish.jpg

Fast Fish.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I hope you at least have access to a lift. Don't cut any corners in prep and cleaning and stick with the stock retainer, the aftermarket one ( Mancini's) isn't worth the billet aluminum it's made out of unless they improved it.
You have verified it's not the oil pressure sending unit further north? Had to ask...

Ddog1775

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have access to a lift and it is not the stock retainer on the motor. Not sure if it is mancini's but it is billet. I did not put this retainer in the car it was already installed when I bought the vehicle. I have all the paper work that came with the car and reading through it all, seems to have been a ongoing issue with the rear main leaking. I'm not looking to cut corners, just want it to stop leaking!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Get yourself a stock retainer, they have been working properly for Ma Mopar since the dawn of the big block. No need to reinvent the wheel especially for a street car.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I run a bead of Right Stuff sealer on both sides of the seal retainer where it meets the block inside the engine , you will need a long skinny screwdriver to create the seal in there but it definatly helps prevent leakage along the sides of the retainer .

Ddog1775

Reaction score
Where do you guys recommend to buy a rear main seal kit along with the oil pan gaskets??

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Dave @ Rosevile should have the factory kit windage tray + 2 gaskets usually cheaper than buying the 2 gaskets alone , maybe use the seal listed above .
Rosevillemoparts.com

Back