• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear wheel well inforation wanted

challengingjab

Reaction score
Does anyone know the largest 15" tire I can use without modifaction in the rear wheel well of my 74 Challenger ? I do have air shocks
No other mods and don't want to mod.

moparleo

Reaction score
The answer is determined by the offset of the wheels that you use. The more positive the offset, the wider the tire can be. Also, get rid of the airshocks. If the rear sits too low without air in the shocks, The rear springs need to be re-arched or replaced. Using air shocks, especially on a 40 year old car will eventually cause the upper shock mount to bend or break. It was not designed to support weight, only to hold the original type of shock absorber. So now in order to answer your question, What is the wheel size that you want to use ?

challengingjab

Reaction score
I honestly don't know I need help in picking a wheel I would like the widest tire and wheel combo I can use with out having to alter the car . And would like to use 2 of the American out law ll 15 inch wheels to go with the 14s on the front. Can you make a suggestion?

michael

Reaction score
I have 15 inch wheels on rear 8 1/2 wide with 245/60 american torqthrust.I recently had new Espo leaf springs installed 1inch overarch. Front is same but 7 inch wide wheels. The 1 inch overarch gives the car a little more rake AND lifts it up a little because of larger and wider than stock wheels. Front tires are 225.

djais1801

Reaction score
I am running stock suspension w/ 15x7 Rallyes. I have 275 60 in the rear and 225 up front. cudangle.jpgcudarearwheel.jpg

cudangle.jpg

cudarearwheel.jpg

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
On my 74 I have 15" x 8.5" wide Rallyes (custom widened) and run 275/60/15. Stock height suspension. There is about 1/2 inch clearance to the leaf springs and probably the same clearance on the fenders. Nothing rubs and no "massaging" of the fender lips were required.
I have heard of some fitting 295s but due to how close mine is inside and outside I would question it would work without a little trimming. Do some measuring on your car to be sure what can fit. No two of these old cars are exactly the same. There could even be differences between the left and right sides of your car. Remove both your rear wheels and support the car on stands from the axle (not the frame) so it is mimicking ride height. Also no air in shocks. They can force the car to lean left or right which can throw off correct measurements. (Also as noted earlier please remove the air shocks they eventually will do structural damage). Use a weighted string and drop a line from your axle mounting face for the wheel and mark a spot on the ground. Do the same in several places along your inner fender lip. A few spots fore and aft of center line to what would be your tires diameter. Also measure location of leaf springs. Be sure to measure fore and aft of the center line on these as well because I believe they are not parallel with each other.
Throw a tape measure on the drop markings and you now know the real estate and offsets you have to work with.

Fronts are 15" x 7" with 215/65/15s on the. IMOP i do not like how these look and will eventually be going at minimum 225s on the front.

One recommendation is to go with 15" or 14" rims on all 4 corners. Not a mix of both. I also believe you will find many more tire size options with the 15s. 14" rims are old school and are becoming more limited in availability.
Good luck with your decision.
Mike.
CIMG6098_zpsc6db85c0.jpg

Back