• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rebuilt 727 no forward or reverse.

bad1cuda

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Challenger. 440 with a 727. I have been working on this project for 6 years. I rebuilt and installed the transmission around 4-5 years ago. The car is now running. The car is up on jack stands. When I put the car into gear it only moves the rear wheels when I rev the motor to approximately 3500-4000 rpms. I know on my Barracuda, when it is on stands and put into gear it moves the rear wheels at idle. Fluid level is good when checked in neutral. I removed the return line from the radiator cooler, started the motor, and fluid is pumping out of the cooler. I don't know if it is enough but it is moving. After letting the car idle for around 15 minutes this morning, I felt the transmission pan and it was not even warm. I read somewhere that it is possible to bolt the 727 to the motor without the torque converter fully engaged. Is this possible? Problem is I installed this 4-5 years ago and don't remember if the motor and 727 went together easy or if I had to crank them together with the bolts. Could there be something else wrong? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

moparleo

Reaction score
The pump only works in d/r or neutral. Start the car in neutral and let it idle. This will fully circulate the fluid in the valve body and convertor. After a few minutes put in reverse or drive. Doesn't matter which. I will assume that you have looked to make sure that all the linkages are correctly installed and adjusted. If no go, time to take it out. Pull the convertor and check the front pump or take it to a good tranny shop and pay a few bucks to find out the problem. A lot quicker and cheaper than doing it yourself when you don't have the experience or the proper tools.

bad1cuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I Hooked up a pressure gauge to the return line. Only getting about 1.5 to 3 psi at 1000rpms with transmission in drive. I believe it is supposed to be at 5-15. Only getting about 7psi at 3000 rpms.

Back