• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Recommendations on new radiator

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm replacing my down flow aluminum radiator because it's about 80% clogged up. I have a 70 Challenger with 383, automatic and Vintage Air a/c. I'm thinking on going with a Griffin aluminum cross flow with dual fans and shroud. Any comments or recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
I recently installed the small block version of this radiator in my 74 Challenger. I also bought the dual fan/shroud that fits directly to the radiator. The radiator is installed and up and running. Not a lot of hours on it yet but appears to be pretty well built.

Northern Radiator | Muscle Car Radiators (Downflow) - 22 1/2 x 25 3/8 x 3 1/8

Northern Radiator | Dual 11\x22 High CFM Electric Fan & Shroud - 17 1/4 x 25 x 3 5/8

Bought it through Yogis. 1970-71 Challenger 318 & 340 Automatic Radiator 205192
An actual old school speed shop near me. Great people to deal with. Tell them I sent you :)

Xcudame

Reaction score
Do you know what caused the radiator to become 80% clogged? You may wind up clogging up the new radiator as well.

Crewchief

Reaction score
We run a 70 challenger with a 512 ci big block. It is an dedicated autocross car. It is driven on the street as well. It spends a lot of time idling in line before runs and also sometimes multiple back to back runs. The car previously had a Champion radiator with 2 speed electric fan and custom shroud, it worked pretty good but on hot days it would creep up after back to back runs but was barrable. It started leaking around the tubes earlier this year(been in the car for several years). So I started searching, was gonna go with GRIFFIN but wasn't readily available. Ended up with a COLD-CASE radiator. They say their oversize 2 row will out perform 3-4 rows. THEY ARE CORRECT. Very noticeable temp decrease at least 15-20 degrees on very hot day idling. Actually one very hot day we were laughing about how much it DECREASED the engine temp (compared to Champion)and could be controlled at 200-205 degrees. Don't even worry about it anymore.

Crewchief

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I agree find the source of "plugging 80% of your radiator". Flush the H$LL out of it before installing new radiator. Pull the thermostat, flush block separate; heater core separate; then flush it again with some pressure if possible.

JKCuda

Reaction score
I just installed a cold case aluminum downflow with their fans and shroud. I can’t speak to how well it works yet because I haven’t fired the motor yet as it’s a full resto, but it fit really well and looks great.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
I went with a U.S. Radiator high efficiency 4 row 22 inch radiator. Sounds like you need a 26 inch.

Back