• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Regarding front tire and wheel selection.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Hello!
Let me questions.

I'm trying to order new wheels and tires for my 70 Challenger, but the rear seems to be fine, but I'm concerned about the front wheels and tires.
The wheels and tires you are trying to install are
・American Racing VN615 VN6155865
15×8
Backspace 3.790 in

American Racing VN615
VN6155866
15×8
Backspace 4.50 in

Tire size 225/60/15

If I install either of these wheels and tires and move the steering wheel left or right, will it interfere with the frame or chassis?
The front brake has been upgraded to a disc brake.
Please let me know your opinions.
thank you for reading it until the very end!

Screenshot_20240121_072318.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
RYO5566,
What disc brakes are now on your car? Rotor diameter?

The 70 Challenger wants zero offset, so VN6155866 would be the correct wheel. The VN6155865 might rub the outer fender.

225/60R15 tires will work fine on the front.
245/60R15 tires might fit the 15x8 wheels better.

Also, if you would like to put bigger tires on the back 255/60R15 tires would fit easily.

moparleo

Reaction score
Save your self head aches. Go with the 15X7 on the front. The 15 X 8 is almost guaranteed to rub especially with wider tires. Also the tire wear will not be good with the wider tire/wheel combo. A lot of scrub when you turn.
Another consideration is the front wheel bearings. The 15 X 7 put the weight load on the inner bearing which is the larger bearing intended to carry the majority of the load. The outer bearing is much smaller. The more wheel/tire that projects to the outside, the more load that is shifted to the smaller/ weaker bearing.
Modern cars use a sealed hub bearing that is quite a bit different in design and load ability.

RYO5566

Reaction score
RYO5566,
What disc brakes are now on your car? Rotor diameter?

The 70 Challenger wants zero offset, so VN6155866 would be the correct wheel. The VN6155865 might rub the outer fender.

225/60R15 tires will work fine on the front.
245/60R15 tires might fit the 15x8 wheels better.

Also, if you would like to put bigger tires on the back 255/60R15 tires would fit easily.
Thank you for your polite answer!
The disc brake is an upgraded product that is not made by a famous manufacturer.
I don't know the rotor diameter, but it still has 15x7 wheels so I don't think it will be a problem.
4.5 is better for backspace.
I'm thinking of making the tires 225 wide because there is a possibility of them hitting the tires too wide.
The rear tire may protrude, so 15×10 295/5015
This is the schedule.

Thank you for kindly teaching me!

RYO5566

Reaction score
Save your self head aches. Go with the 15X7 on the front. The 15 X 8 is almost guaranteed to rub especially with wider tires. Also the tire wear will not be good with the wider tire/wheel combo. A lot of scrub when you turn.
Another consideration is the front wheel bearings. The 15 X 7 put the weight load on the inner bearing which is the larger bearing intended to carry the majority of the load. The outer bearing is much smaller. The more wheel/tire that projects to the outside, the more load that is shifted to the smaller/ weaker bearing.
Modern cars use a sealed hub bearing that is quite a bit different in design and load ability.
Thank you for your polite answer!

15×7 is better than 15×8!
I also wanted the offset to be as outward as possible.
The reason for this was because I was worried that it would interfere with the frame and chassis when turning the steering wheel left and right.
I didn't know that the more negative offset there is, the more stress it puts on the bearings.
I'll think about tires and wheels again.
Thank you for kindly teaching me!

Xcudame

Reaction score

moparleo

Reaction score
5 X 0 on the rear is a defimite no fit. 295/50-15 on an 8" wheel is no problem.
No you plan to do any special type of driving with this combo ? Or just normal street driiving ?
The selection needs to be taken into consideration based on the driving application.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I currently have 15x7 cop wheels and 255/60R15 tires on front and back of my 70 Challenger with no issues. 15x7 would differently ensure the proper fit.

Maybe use these American Racing wheels:
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER American Racing VN5155765 American Racing VN515 Polished Torq-Thrust II One-Piece Wheels | Summit Racing
Or these wheels:
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER American Racing VN6155765 American Racing VN615 Torq-Thrust II Chrome Wheels | Summit Racing
It would be better to change from 15×8 to 15×7!
Currently, I'm wearing 15x7 steel wheels, which I feel are a bit poor, so I was wondering about 15x8.
Thank you for your kind advice!

RYO5566

Reaction score
5 X 0 on the rear is a defimite no fit. 295/50-15 on an 8" wheel is no problem.
No you plan to do any special type of driving with this combo ? Or just normal street driiving ?
The selection needs to be taken into consideration based on the driving application.
Hello!
I don't do any racing, I just drive around town.
It doesn't seem to hit the inner fender, but it sticks out from the outer fender, so I'm thinking of raising the rear part with a shock and leaf spring.
There is also a Japanese person who is wearing CRAGER 15×10 -32!

Screenshot_20240123_101722_Facebook.jpg

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I like 7" wheels in the front of my cars better than the looks of 8". 295's will fit on the rear with no problem on 8" rear wheels. If using 10 they may still work with a 5-1/2" back space but every car is a little different. I run 295's on 4 different sets of wheels on 4 of my different cars.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I like 7" wheels in the front of my cars better than the looks of 8". 295's will fit on the rear with no problem on 8" rear wheels. If using 10 they may still work with a 5-1/2" back space but every car is a little different. I run 295's on 4 different sets of wheels on 4 of my different cars.
I'm currently using a 15x7, so I thought it would be nice if the front wheel would stick out more outwards, so I was thinking of changing to a 15x8.
It can also support 295 in 15×8!
Thank you for your kind advice!

moparleo

Reaction score
Lifting the rear is not helpng the performance of the car at all. You are raising the center of gravity, making the car less stable in a high speed stop or evasive manuever and makig the rear of the car which is already too light wnat to hop and skoip when going over any bumps at speed.
If the airshocks fail, the rear will come down on the tires causing cuts and possible failure. You don't see any modern cars with the car lifted to clear the tires and they are much wider than what you want to run.
Weel offset is the key and the older type suspensins do not have the inner clearnce that modern suspensions do.
This is one of the reasons that the aftermarket suspension companies are in busines. The Alter-Kation an others may be an option.
Remember that the car manufacturers spent a lot of money to engineer the cars to be as safe as possible and have as much clearance as needed for the tires and wheels that were available at that time. Wheel and tire companies do not accept any responsibility for what you buy. They leave the firment up to you.
As with anything else. Modifications to anything lead to a domino effect. When you change one thing, it also changes something else.
That may be clearance issues, suspension part or bearing stress, less efficient braking, mis- alignment, stability issues. etc...
What might look good standing still, may be a nightmare to actually drive down the road.

Back