• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Removing Ash Tray Housing from a 1970 Challenger

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, This probably applies to all E-bodies. I removed the ash tray door easily. On the ash tray housing itself there are 3 screws, 2 on the top and one on the bottom. I removed those and the wire to the heating coil is unplugged. The housing seems to want to come out but it seems like there is something in the back preventing the housing from being removed. Would anybody know what I'm missing?

Last edited:

DY31970

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was able to move around the housing after removing the screws. I saw the flasher can and I was able to tell by turning the ash tray housing I could clear the flasher can. But I did notice on the top left of the housing in back and extending up and forward is a safety spring type lever. I assume it is to keep the housing from falling out even if there are no screws in the housing. I couldn't get my fingers in far enough to push down on the lever from the front and I couldn't reach it from behind the dash. I saw an ashtray and the housing with the lever for sale on ebay.

Back