• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Resurface or new Flywheel

Daves69

Reaction score
For driving to the shows and cruise nights I think I'd try a new face on the original. As long as it don't look too bad, hasn't been faced excessively previously, and the ring gear is in good condition it should be Ok I would think.

Then too, if I'm going to the track I'd be a lot more serious about a new one.

moparleo

Reaction score
A third option are the remanufactured fly wheels. These are used flywheels that have been reground and magna-fluxed for cracks. They run about $100.00 more than a resurfacing job. If you have the coin though, I would go new. You don't get into the clutch to service very often.

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
There should be nothing wrong with resurfacing yours. The main thing to look for before, and after it's reground, is how hot had it gotten. In other words, are there visible blue or purple heat marks on it. Check it for blue marks after regrind also.Also, how many times it has been redone before. A good Machine shop will have a nice Van NormanWinona FG5000 grinder, and they can tell you if it is worth it. We did hundreds of these in our shop at our Parts Store over the years, including guys racing with them. We also used to grind huge step flywheels for big Diesel Trash Trucks for BFI. Never a problem.

Racer57

Reaction score
I had mine resurfaced without any issues.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
This is about the last thing you ever want to explode on you , my advice is get a new one , SFI certified too !!!
Yes you can resurface them with no issues , check for cracks , if it is cracked I would buy a new one , A lot depends on usage too, for example in a daily driver with low HP you would never have a problem , conversly in a race car with massive traction & power it might leave through the front windshield !!

aussiemark

Reaction score
This is about the last thing you ever want to explode on you , my advice is get a new one , SFI certified too !!!
Yes you can resurface them with no issues , check for cracks , if it is cracked I would buy a new one , A lot depends on usage too, for example in a daily driver with low HP you would never have a problem , conversly in a race car with massive traction & power it might leave through the front windshield !!
and cut your toes off in the process

Yatzee

Reaction score
The problem with fly wheels is that they develop hard and soft spots from constant use just like brake rotors. The surface is never the same as new, and the clutch disk and flywheel have to seat together just like brakes. Machining may level the surface but the tempered spots still exist. This is a big job so I recommend, for the sake of peace of mind and reliability buy a new quality friction disk and flywheel.

Last edited:
Back