• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Reverse lights won't work

Kas71Challenger

Reaction score
This is my first post and I am looking for a little help. About me: I'm a girl who is "learning" everyday about my muscle car. I bought myself a 71 Challenger R/T with a 440 Magnum.

Presently my reverse lights won't work and I replaced the bulbs so that isn't it. Can someone tell me where the fuse box is located? Stupid question, I know.

:confused:

Rob C

Reaction score
The real stupid question is the one that is not asked.

The fuse box is located under the dash, next to the steering colunm. Open your door and swing under the dash and look up. There glass cylinders, so be careful not to break them when you remove them.

Also, on the drivers side rear end of the transmission, there is a 2 or 3 wires going into and attaching to a plug. This is your neutral safet switch and doubles as a reverse light switch. Make sure it is attached and making contact. Follow the wires up to the bulkhead and make sure it is attached and not corroaded.

Wiring diaograms can be had on disc. Search the net, you'll find or should search out the factory books on your car. MoPar used to offer the books on paper. It's worth a try.

Welcome abaord

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Looks like Rumble has pointed you in the right direction. I have found service manuals or some thing like a Hayns manual to be of a lot of help to me. Good luck with your project. How about some pics so we can check it out. We love pics around here.

Kas71Challenger

Reaction score
More than happy to show off my ride...

1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
440 Magnum
Holly Avenger Series Carb (770)
TTI Exhaust Headers
727 Torque Flight transmission
3:55 Suregrip gears
480 lift / 230 duration
Not dyno'd yet BUT estimated at 390HP @ engine 340HP @ wheels

!BSohfeg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl2qfnBKEKR-pWNg~~_0.JPG

!BSohfeg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl2qfnBKEKR-pWNg~~_0.JPG

stayonmyleft

Reaction score
good call with he wiring diagrams. i am having a similar problemn with my 74. the backup lights dont work and i cant get power out to my coil. i think it may be the neutral switch. sorry to but in on someone elses topic but do any of you know of the diagram for a 71 is the same as a 74?

Back