• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

rotors

brian6pac

Reaction score
What are 70, 71 E-body 2 piece 11.75" rotors worth and how hard are they to come by?

moparleo

Reaction score
Because they were expensive to manufacture, Mopar changed to a one piece rotor which are much more economical to make and sell for much less. If you are trying to sell the old style rotors, only people wanting to restore back to original would really be interested. The later, less expensive rotors are an upgrade form the 70-72 rotors. Larger bearing. And less expensive.

340challconvert

Reaction score
The early two piece rotors were also prone to warping when they got hot, then would go back to normal as they cooled back down.
Unless you are restoring to total stock, buy the newer one piece rotors which are available in both the small 70-72, and large 73 on bearing sizes.
I took moparleo's advice awhile back on this and purchased the one piece rotors with the smaller bearing size.
They are also reinforced with ribs on the back for added strength.
As a sidebar: they cost $55. each plus shipping
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Guys, I am restoring my 71 cuda back to stock. Does anybody know a place to find the stock ones (2 piece), even if good used?I have been looking around with no luck. I have my originals but they are too thin to machine.

brian6pac

Reaction score
I have a set of 2 piece rotors and they are off a 71 cuda. how thick are your rotors?

gf7cuda

Reaction score
very thin with grooves in them. I have not measured them, but can tell to cut out grooves they will be junk

brian6pac

Reaction score
The 2 I have I think 1 Is just under and the other is over by .020 if I remember. The reason I ask is most people use them for going to the car shows
and not for ever day driving so if they are a little under it's no big deal. Mine are for sale pm me and we can talk.

gf7cuda

Reaction score
The 2 I have I think 1 Is just under and the other is over by .020 if I remember. The reason I ask is most people use them for going to the car shows
and not for ever day driving so if they are a little under it's no big deal. Mine are for sale pm me and we can talk.
Brian i will be driving whenever weather allows me to. Looking for good thick ones, as I know I will have to machine true

brian6pac

Reaction score
Not sure were you are at but here in n.e. Ohio it's 60 degrees today so I will be out most of the day.
I will mic the rotors and let you know what they say some time today.
Brian

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Not sure were you are at but here in n.e. Ohio it's 60 degrees today so I will be out most of the day.
I will mic the rotors and let you know what they say some time today.
Brian
Thanks Brian, and i will check mine when i get to shop later today.

gf7cuda

Reaction score
I'm thinking .940? recall is not that good any more!
Brian, looked at rotors and they are so rusted I could not see any stamping for minimum thickness. If they are on the borderline I will keep looking as I am looking for the thickest I can find. once I put this together I don't want to mess with it for a while......

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
Saw this thread this morning and have a 'sanity check' type related question that someone might be able to answer who has already 'been there'....

I have what I believe are the factory original 2 piece rotors on my November of 1969 built 440/6 Cuda. I want to pull these rare original rotors and put them in storage - they'll be sold with the car if/when I sell it in the distant future. Does someone have a direct swap part number they can refer me to for the single piece replacement rotor?

Ideally, I'd like to pull the 2 piece rotor off and slide on the single piece without having to change spindles, bearings, etc... Is this possible?

Thanks!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Saw this thread this morning and have a 'sanity check' type related question that someone might be able to answer who has already 'been there'....

I have what I believe are the factory original 2 piece rotors on my November of 1969 built 440/6 Cuda. I want to pull these rare original rotors and put them in storage - they'll be sold with the car if/when I sell it in the distant future. Does someone have a direct swap part number they can refer me to for the single piece replacement rotor?

Ideally, I'd like to pull the 2 piece rotor off and slide on the single piece without having to change spindles, bearings, etc... Is this possible?

Thanks!
I am in the same situation with a 70 Challenger A66 w a SBD of October 7, 1969. I removed the original 2 piece rotors and will store them as I redo the brakes. Moparleo gave me a suggestion awhile back, buy Centric Rotors. They are available with the 70 smaller bearing for the stock spindle, are one piece and are nice units. Reinforcement ribs on the back and you can get them for a good price. I actually bought two sets because of this just to have them. Paid 125. for the pair from Rock Auto with shipping. (rotors were 54.79 each) Centric # 121.63022.
You can order all the stock bearings and seals as appropriate for an early ebody and they look great. Even the dust cap fits correctly!
Good luck with what ever you choose to do.
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

brian6pac

Reaction score
The correct rotor is 11.75" O.D.? The centric rotor is not big enough @ 10.98"
I have a set I can get to later and will check, maybe get a picture also.

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
I am in the same situation with a 70 Challenger A66 w a SBD of October 7, 1969. I removed the original 2 piece rotors and will store them as I redo the brakes. Moparleo gave me a suggestion awhile back, buy Centric Rotors. They are available with the 70 smaller bearing for the stock spindle, are one piece and are nice units. Reinforcement ribs on the back and you can get them for a good price. I actually bought two sets because of this just to have them. Paid 125. for the pair from Rock Auto with shipping. (rotors were 54.79 each) Centric # 121.63022.
You can order all the stock bearings and seals as appropriate for an early ebody and they look great. Even the dust cap fits correctly!
Good luck with what ever you choose to do.
View attachment 35101

View attachment 35099

View attachment 35100

Just the sort of detailed info. I was hoping to receive, Paharamia, thank you very much and I use Rock Auto quite a bit for all of my auto parts needs.

Several follow-up questions....
- Have you installed the Centric rotors yet?
- Are you still running the factory Kelsey Hayes disc brakes?
- Brian6pak brings up a good question re the O.D. difference of the two rotor styles. I haven't pulled a front wheel in awhile to re-measure but if he's correct did you have any problems there?

Thanks!

Back