• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Royal Purple Trans Fluid?

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
Hi All, I used the Search function, but didn’t see any posts. So, I’ll start a new one.
- I have a brand new 727TF from Blueprint Engines (built for the 360/408). Just about time to install the engine and Trans, thus a question on Trans Fluid.
- I would like to use Royal Purple. Yes, a bit pricey, but I’d rather pay more now for quality. The Cuda, I mean Barracuda, won’t be driven very often. So, I’m thinking that synthetic Trans Fluid is the better option.
- What are y’all’s thoughts? Any negative experiences with Royal Purple?
- Thank you for taking time out our yur busy lives to assist.
— Ron

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I used Lucas semi-synthetic ATF.

Make sure what ever you use is compatible/equal with Dexron p/n 3549660. That's straight out of the Service Manual.

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
I never learned to drive an Auto but i have always heard F type is the best .
Chryco, you never learned to drive an auto-Trans? Well, using the Slap Stick, it’s just like driving a 3-speed, but without a clutch. It makes my life easier when I’m smoking, drinking, and adjusting the 8-track all at the same time :)

70chall440

Reaction score
Hi 70 Chally 440, I didn’t see a recommendation fir the Trans fluid, just engine oil.

Gotcha, did you try reaching out to them since they are the ones that built it? That said, it isn't rocket science and I would imagine that you can run any fluid designed for torqueflites. According to Royal Purple's website their AFT Max is good for Chrysler transmissions, thats what I would use.

sir_veza

Reaction score
Chryco, you never learned to drive an auto-Trans? Well, using the Slap Stick, it’s just like driving a 3-speed, but without a clutch. It makes my life easier when I’m smoking, drinking, and adjusting the 8-track all at the same time :)
Hey Ron, Why not just hire a chauffeur instead? (LOL all in fun).

chargerdon

Reaction score
I put an A518 into my 74 challenger with 360/408 engine it came out of a 92 van.

If I pull the transmission dip stick and read it it says use Chrysler ATF plus or Dexron II fluid. So, to find "plain ole ATF plus or Mercon or Dexron II equivalent fluid" i went to Walmart and bought theirs... It is simply called ATF and on the jug it says for use where Dexron III or Mercon is called for. You can get it in 1 gallon jug for $13.99 That's dirt cheap!!! I have had ZERO transmission problems with it.

Yes, i know that if i go to Advance or autozone or oreilys and look for transmission fluid, it will show several different brands of ATF+4 fluid at about $9 a quart. (walmart also sales atf+4 for $5.99 quart). However, remember this...I'm putting this fluid into a 1992 transmission. In 1992 DEXRON III wasn't even available yet, it came out in 1993. ATF+4 didn't even come out until 1998, and I "believe" atf+3 didn't come out until 1994. Note: ATF+4 is synthetic so it is NOT needed in an older transmission. Would it hurt it? Probably not...but its just wasting money.

Chyrco Pyscho says use F type... based upon what i can read that is probably a good choice as well. I believe F type is basically DexronIII but with a higher "friction" characteristic so that it will give "crisper" shifts.

Reaction score
Hello;
I have some experience as a Product Manager for fluids at Mopar Parts Div.
The Dextron Mercon that is currently available retail is the baseline compatible fluid for a 727 or 904 transmission. Almost always, newer fluids are designed to be backwards compatible with older fluids; usually the newer transmissions are less forgiving. This fluid is more designed for a smooth shift.
Type F is the older racers trick for use in 727/904 to get a slightly firmer shift. It is compatible with the transmission.
Mopar ATF+4 is a full synthetic, and has a number of enhancements to reduce shudder in modern transmissions, etc.. It is overkill in a 727/904 except perhaps in severe use such as heavy towing, but it is a great fluid. All of the other brand ATF+4 fluids are made under license, so they have to meet the same OEM Chrysler specifications.
I hope this helps.
Mark

Back