• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sand blast or acid dip ?

chalenged

Reaction score
I have a 71 challenger that has some rust some filler and too much paint.
Acid dip is going to be around 5-6000 including e coating.
I really can’t afford that, is media blasting by a professional ok , it’s only 1200

Fishgutz

Reaction score
I had my Cuda blasted, and don’t regret it for a minute. The paint shop I used arranged the deal. The guy did an excellent job, as I recall, it was $1400.00, that didn’t include any primer.
Check out my photo garage, Plum Crazy Resto Mod for more photos. Best of everything with your project, keep us updated.

C130D2C6-4F85-443D-93CC-45336303C4C3.jpeg

81D7487A-A58C-49BB-9A95-1AA290044C23.jpeg

8D3F8CBC-35CB-4B20-9960-830A58ABDA58.jpeg

chalenged

Reaction score

moparlee

Reaction score
Make sure the blaster guy knows what he is doing. Large flat panel areas like fenders, quarter panels, hood, doors and deck lids can easily be warped by the heat and pressure. There are also several types of media like sand, walnut shells, and soda ash. Sand can be pretty aggressive on the flat panels.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
well worth it to blast instead of acid dip.
I've had the blasters use the finer media on the flat panels and the sand on the bottom, inside, trunk and engine bay.

340challconvert

Reaction score
CHOOSE ABRASIVE BLASTING MEDIA

Just some thoughts:

Choose Plastic for Automotive and Aerospace Applications

Plastic is extremely soft, making it an ideal medium for removing paint from the surface of fiberglass parts. Fiberglass parts are commonly used in the manufacturing of automotive, aerospace and marine products, without etching or stripping. Using plastic for blasting also results in very low levels of dust.

Plastic AbrasiveSoft media, best used for coatings and paint, ideal for automotive and aerospace applications

Avoid Sand
The terms “sandblasting” and “abrasive blasting” are sometimes used interchangeably. However, many companies are moving away from sand as a blasting medium for a number of reasons. Sand contains silica, which is known to cause serious respiratory illnesses for workers involved in the sandblasting process. Additionally, sand contains a high moisture content that can lead to the premature demise of blasting equipment.

brotow

Reaction score
I had my 70 challenger media blasted. I don't think I would use the dustless blasting method, from what I understand the media is mixed with water and a rust inhibitor is also added. I feel the media residue will be left in many little folds, creaveses, etc. When I got my challenger back a lot of the media was remove by me rotating the car on the rotisserie. After that I acid etch and epoxy primed the car. Blasting cost me $1200 close to 15 years ago. I also removed doors, trunk, fenders, hood to be done separately.

260500_219869651368384_593232_n.jpg

264463_219869921368357_5788287_n.jpg

volunteer

Reaction score
Make sure the blaster guy knows what he is doing. Large flat panel areas like fenders, quarter panels, hood, doors and deck lids can easily be warped by the heat and pressure. There are also several types of media like sand, walnut shells, and soda ash. Sand can be pretty aggressive on the flat panels.

I selected 'wow' in lieu of 'agree'. I would have typed identical message. Now, I will also add - - DO remove both fenders, both doors and, trunk lid - - especially if paying $1200 to $1400. I hope that price range includes removal of media trash from frame rails and other 'nooks and crannies'. 😟

Tor-Red

Reaction score
I really can’t afford that, is media blasting by a professional ok , it’s only 1200
I had my 70 cuda dipped at ready strip in Roselle in 1989 it's not acid it's chemical paint and rust remover and remove rust between the spot welded metal and inside the frame rails as well as on the outside exposed I had called them and they said depending on the condition of the car about $4,000 to do everything that was car rearing nuts and bolts springs came over the arms etc they put a temporary sealer under everything in the last two or three months
I power washed it of and sprayed self-etching primer in the frame rails and let it ooze in between the spot weld metal and sheet metal inside outthen applied primer and blocked it to straighten stuff out. Ok I'm

Back