• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Seat belt extender for '74 Challenger, driver side?

rrbbkk

Reaction score
My three point seat belt harness gets hung up and won't pull out all of the way. I can "work it" for hours and sometimes get it to pull out to its full length but the "fix" is temporary. I'm not a little guy but the belt used to pull out further and fit me easily. No more. Is there a seat belt extender for my car?

moparroy

Reaction score
I reconditioned the belts for my '74 Cuda a few months ago. The way the 3 pt retractors are designed on the OE ones, they must fully retract inward (ie back onto the spool) before you can pull them out again. When they fully retract there is a mechanism that sets a kind of "bypass" clip that allows the belt to be pulled out. And you have to pull it out in one smooth motion. As soon as you stop or release the pull tension on it that bypass clip rests and locks the belt and will not allow it out anymore. Sometimes it does not work properly and will not release fully - I found a little lube (I used silicone lube spray to keep it clean) helps. Mine are not installed yet so I am wondering if I will need to use something more aggressive for lubrication at some point.

Back