• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Semi retirement

ramenth

Reaction score
Today is my last full day at work. I've kicked myself back to part time.

Some of you know I was the assistant manager at the local Advance Auto Parts store, hired directly by the district manager because of my background being a tech and shop owner. I've helped drive sales and bring some shops on board for business, worked my ass off to help the store meet sales goals and generally just been in a position to lead the store.

A couple of months ago, in a consolidation effort, small stores were "de-staffed." In order to keep my job, I had to take a demotion from management to Parts Pro. My sales goals numbers were raised (no big deal, I crush the sales goals), but still it was a step back from my goal of becoming a general manager.

We're heading into winter and Karli and I are going to have a harder time of finding sitter coverage for Cyrus. So, with everything falling into place, I've resigned my position as a Parts Pro. I'm staying on for eight hours a week to generally lend my knowledge of running the store and my knowledge of being a car guy until they can find a new full time Parts Pro.

But as of now, my full time job will be stay at home dad. Something my boy will definitely benefit from as he's a stay at home kind of boy. He likes going "bye-bye" but he really likes coming home, where he's familiar with everything and has all this toys to play with.

I'm gonna work on the house, since I've started a few projects that I just don't have time to get done, and spend my off time working on my book. It's been my lifelong dream to be a writer and it's time I started focusing on that, as I truly know that's where my future lies.

js29

Reaction score
Don't ya just just love bean counters! they would rather have A person younger than the vehicle the part are intended for behind the counter. no loyalty or appreciation for A job well done. good luck with your new ventures,I am sure your son will be better off with you then A setter. A good bonding opportunity! Mark.

Bill

Reaction score
Good luck Robert. "Change is good". I agree that the bean counters are taking over. I see it in the HVAC industry. It's hard to find "the guy" like you who has knowledge of what your looking for. There is an Advanced Auto near where I live and if "the guy" is not working there you better know "EXACTELLY" what you are looking for. It's funny when I go there asking a novice new employee (no offence to them) and they ask you what car you have and I tell them a 73 Challenger.

I have a 18 and 15 year old daughter that we homeschooled. My 18 year old starts college at UVM in Burlington, VT in January and my 15 year old is taking high school courses at home. They are both great people due to them being brought up by my wife and I. We were very lucky to of been able to afford it.

I'm going to start a religion called "Keep your kids off the internet"!!! or at least with limitations and supervision. We made the mistake of not doing that with our 15 year old. Just remember that you can see ANYTHING you want on the internet. Our mistake.

Last edited:

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
Robert, Please tell me what you know about their plans for the Carquest Stores. I have heard that they plan to leave them as smaller professional supply stores. I have a vested interest since I own two commercial buildings that they lease from me. Now, they just did renew the leases for 5 years with me. However, they do have a 1 year advance notice out clause. Just curious as to what you know. Those Commercial buildings are my retirement plan and have been for the last 15 yrs, since I sold my Parts Stores to them.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You will like the semi retirement. I have been that way for the last 7 years. I find I am happier and busier than ever.

Ray

Reaction score
I know it's easy for me to say, but just hang in there.

moparleo

Reaction score
Robert, I hope that your dreams come true. As I know that you are aware, sometimes there are roadblocks and detours as we travel through this thing we call life. All anybody can do is keep their eye on the ball and keep the golden rule. Good luck.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Wishing you the BEST

Robert, best of luck with your semi-retirement. Sometimes it is best to look at the blessings.
Something similar happened to me a year and a half ago with a long time job that ended and forced me to start social security before I really wanted to.
I spent the year helping out a elderly family member who ended up living with us, renovated the house with projects that I never got to and actually had time to work on the Challenger a little.
I know you will spend the best of times with your son and enjoy moments with him that might not have been possible before!
Enjoy the moments in this segment of your life! "And definitely start that book you always wanted to write"

Dino2 (1).gif

Cranky

Reaction score
This coming April will be my 10th anniversary for full retirement and it's the best move I ever made lol. The only down side about it is the getting old part :(

Back