• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Setting valves

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I am re-setting the valves after initial break-in and after checking that the heads are still torqued properly. It has a hydraulic lifter cam. I am tightening the lash to zero on all the valves and then will do a 3/4 turn down. This setting is supposed to be done when there is no oil in the lifters. How am I certain that all of the oil is out of them before starting this process. Does turning over the engine by hand a few revolutions ensure the oil is not providing any residual pressure? As always, thanks in advance.

moparleo

Reaction score
If the engine has been run, you really can't bleed the lifters unless you bury the pushrods down.
Adjustable rockers on a hydraulic cam & lifter ? Why ?
Mopar rockers are shaft mounted and have no real adjustment unless you have removed a lot from the deck or heads. In which case you would get custom length pushrods.
What's the rest of the story with your valve train set up ?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Adjustable rockers are for higher spring loads .
the lifters should be pumped up so go to zero lash & + 3/4 turn

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Here's the setup. Hydraulic lifters, mild cam, pushrods that have the "cup" at the end, adjustable rockers on aluminum heads (parts came with the car when I bought it).
Rockers.jpg
Also, look at 4 and 8 (just like 1 and 3) exhaust ports, plugs and top of pistons really charcoal in appearance - thoughts?

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
Don't worry about the oil in the lifters, go ahead and adjust them as you described. As you turn the engine over to adjust each lifter the ones you have already adjusted will bleed down on their own. I've been doing it that way for 50 years and never had a problem.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Nice set up !
looks like fuel distribution problems or misfire .
If it's fuel, then it would would be one side of the dual plane intake, right? As the other four are clean as a whistle. I never set up a thermoquad before, so I need to take a closer look at that.

I got a new rotor, cap, wires, and plugs to eliminate anything misfiring. Unless the distributor is somehow playing favorites?

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Don't worry about the oil in the lifters, go ahead and adjust them as you described. As you turn the engine over to adjust each lifter the ones you have already adjusted will bleed down on their own. I've been doing it that way for 50 years and never had a problem.
Cool, thanks.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There is a small O ring in the well under the emulsion tube if it is damaged or missing it will leak fuel into the intake while running , that is the first place I would look but as u say it is not consistant with a dual plane feed , it should be 2 outer & 2 inner cylinders

Back