• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shaker hood conversion, anyone build one?

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
I was looking to do a shaker hood conversion from a flat hood with a shaker kit. Unfortunately, RestoRick's kit is sold out. That leaves a kit from shakerhood.com. Their kit doesn't come with directions on exactly where to cut, where to spot weld the brace, etc. I don't need a concours correct hood, just a nice looking and functional hood.

Has anyone did the conversion? I was thinking of going the conversion route to save a few bucks over the AMD hood, but is seems like a lot of unknowns and the AMD is looking better all the time.

Any pictures, drawings, etc. would be appreciated.

mrjlr

Reaction score
This is not mine.....nor an E-Body. ...but it is a Barracuda

4b150b891278249965958322c353af1f--pink-cars-plymouth-barracuda.jpg

I would love to do it to mine!

20171121_062916.jpg

Jeff

440rush

Reaction score
Hi Mark, I put a Shakerhood.com kit on my 73 Charger several years ago. I'm happy with their kit. The man I talked with at Shakerhood.com was very helpful when there was any questions I had, He told me their kits have been put on many newer and some non mopar cars. He should be able to guide you through the project. I have pictures on For B Bodies only in the "Let's see the 71-74 b bodies'' if this helps.

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
440, how hard was it /how much time did you spend on it? Did you spot/plug weld the underhood brace on? Where did you do the welding if you did?

440rush

Reaction score
Mark, I didn't do the cutting on the hood or weld the braces on the underside. I had the car at a shop doing a motor transplant. I had a 440 crate & six pac put in it. After the engine was installed we noticed the stock hood didn't have enough clearance, so I went with a shaker hood. The guy that did the cutting & welding isn't a body guy just a good mechanic with welding skills. I did take the hood to a body guy to do the filler & paint. I think he just used the trim ring as a guide when he cut the hood. I don't think the hood braces on a Charger & Cuda would be the same. I don't have the Charger at my house right now. It's back at the body man's shop for a complete paint job. If you need pictures of the under side I could run out there and get pictures if that would help you. This work was done about 5 years ago so my memory has faded a bit. The mechanic never said anything about doing it being difficult.

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, everyone. For the time being, I have decided that I will probably go with a Goodmark / Tamraz brand hood. I see them listed as low as 422. I would need the trim ring and could be all done for less than 650. I would like to see the underside of one of those hoods though. I know AMD has them too, ready to go at 900. Since I am not building a real N96 car, I thought the less expensive route will get me what I want.

If anyone has one of those hoods, please post and show the underside.

Thanks

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I am doing one now. I have the hood. Looking for a base plate and scoop to cut up to make a custom drop base and larger scoop to fit my tunnel ram and dual Dominator carbs.

20180120_220934.jpg

20180120_220926.jpg

20180120_221005.jpg

20160507_120139.jpg

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I just ordered the baseplate, adapter ring, seal and scoop. I know it is going to be a lot of work. I think it will look cool when it's finished.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
These pics were sent to me at one time. They are not of my work. I have done several conversions and they are easy.
shaker2n.jpg
shaker3.jpg
shaker4.jpg
shaker6.jpg
shaker8.jpg
shaker11.jpg
shaker9.jpg
shaker12.jpg
shaker13.jpg
shaker14.jpg

Thomas Schwartz

Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, but I have a 70 cuda with a shaker hood on it. If you need someone to do some measurements or get some pics, I will. It buried in my garage, but I will help if I can...
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Wow, looks nice! I just ordered a trim ring from Rick, he had some on discount that need some pits filled in. I am thinking of buying the Goodmark/Tamraz hood, I think I can get it for under 500. Then I just will need the gasket from Detroit muscle.

Thanks Thomas, I'll keep you in mind.
Challenger6Pak, how much "time" do you think it takes to do the conversion?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I can't say. Too many variables such as what tools do you have and what is your skill level. Plan a good days worth of time and you should be fine. It's more tedious than difficult. The hood flange where the ring goes takes the most time. The pics I posted had the flange done on the hood with a tool. The kits from Rick include a flange which can be metal bonded to the hood. The last one I did, I cut the hole, metal bonded the flange and welded the rear framework or brace.

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
You have all the good stuff ragtop! I just bought a trim ring from Rick, I am going to order a hood from Josh's Muscle Car Parts, as long as he can get it to Carlisle. Price is good, able to pick up, can't complain about that. If I was building a real N96 car and was near you, I would be at your doorstep.

Back