• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shaker Hood Hinge Springs

Steve340

Reaction score
Do factory fitted Shaker hood cars have lighter hinge springs because of the large hole cut in the hood for the Shaker?
If so what are the differences.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I thought there were only two hood hinge springs, one light set of springs for T/A and AAR fiberglass hoods and another set of springs for everything else. But I willing to be educated as well.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Voilà!

Hood hinge spring.png

Xcudame

Reaction score
Cool Challenger RTA! I didn't realize shaker hoods used the light fiberglass hood springs as well! Thanks for the education!

Steve340

Reaction score
Thanks Challenger RTA for that information. Clearly they do use a different spring than all the other steel hoods and as we now know are the same as the fibreglass hood cars.
You do seem to have lots of factory books tucked away somewhere. Great reference material.

I may have to get a set of those springs at some point. I think I have the ordinary ones.

larry4406

Reaction score
What is the harm of using the normal ordinary hood springs with a steel OEM shaker hood?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thanks Challenger RTA for that information. Clearly they do use a different spring than all the other steel hoods and as we now know are the same as the fibreglass hood cars.
You do seem to have lots of factory books tucked away somewhere. Great reference material.

I may have to get a set of those springs at some point. I think I have the ordinary ones.
Start with this one.

floyd

Reaction score
I have two original shaker hood Challengers and a T/A with the original hood hinges and springs. The springs are NOT the same between shaker and T/A. I can’t imagine that the smaller diameter spring used for the fiberglass hood would work for any type of steel hood.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I just ordered a set of springs for the Shaker hood. The original springs make you use a lot of force to close the hood. With the metal removed for the Shaker hood tends to flex and could cause bending at the hinge point. The parts catalogue I have doesn't list it as Shaker hood springs, it says fiberglass or with fresh air hood.
So calling it a fresh air hood instead of a Shaker caused the confusion on my part.

larry4406

Reaction score
I just ordered a set of springs for the Shaker hood. The original springs make you use a lot of force to close the hood. With the metal removed for the Shaker hood tends to flex and could cause bending at the hinge point. The parts catalogue I have doesn't list it as Shaker hood springs, it says fiberglass or with fresh air hood.
So calling it a fresh air hood instead of a Shaker caused the confusion on my part.

Link to springs you purchased?

Clark Kent

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with the back end of the shaker hood not sitting down flush with the fenders?
I have the hinges all the way down and the hood still sits up about 1" above the fenders in the back.

Steve340

Reaction score
No my hood sits down level with the fenders and looks good.
One inch is a long way up - not sure what would cause that.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Hinge wore?
A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is with the rear hood edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Re tighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender...using this method, the hood was fitting perfect in a few minutes!
Fender-Hood alignment

Clark Kent

Reaction score
Hinge wore?
A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is with the rear hood edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Re tighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender...using this method, the hood was fitting perfect in a few minutes!
Fender-Hood alignment
Thanks for the advice, I will give this a try and see if I can get it to work.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I ordered the springs on Ebay as for a "1970 AAR Cuda Fiberglass springs". With shipping and tax $84 although shipped via USPS so a little slow getting here or even if they come at all. That was the cheapest price I got and coming from Idaho.

Steve340

Reaction score
I would be interested to get some feedback on whether they are strong enough to keep the hood up.
Especially if there is a bit of a breeze.
Also what they are like when you close the hood.

tonysrt

Reaction score
According to the tracking number they gave me arrival to be December 5th. So it'll be a while before I know how they will work out. I just know now with the normal stock spring, I have to use too much force to close the hood. I'm afraid of hood bending at the hinge point, needless to say I'm very careful in closing it now.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
T/A hood hinge with spring. From flipping a T/A and a R/T hood around by myself. I would guess the T/A hood weighs 75lbs or less, R/T about 150lbs. I think a shaker hood might only about 25lbs less. The shaker might be compromised because of the cut out. Also there for less weight beyond the tipping point of the hinge. Just my 2¢.
20220707_194748.jpg

Last edited:

tonysrt

Reaction score
Besides the cutout for the bubble there is a lot of reinforcement that has been removed on the underside of the hood. I can carry it fairly easily and installed it by myself but being very careful. Used a 2x4 to prop it up to secure the hinges.

Steve340

Reaction score
Can anyone show what the difference is in the two types of spring?
Do they measure or look different?
How do you tell which type you have.

My hood is fairly easy to close I might already have the correct springs on the hinges.

Thanks for information and replies.

Back